Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't connect to wireless network - please help

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

I am using an IBM Thinkpad R50e 1842 with Windows XP Home edition.  I have never used wifi before. I'm trying to connect to the wireless network and it asked for a network key which I got from homeowner and pressed "connect".  A message will say "acquiring network address" but after a few moments nothing happens and I'm not  connected.  What could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Are you using Windows or IBM software to connect?

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#3 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question.  The Thinkpad is made by IBM.  The operating system is Windows XP.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question.  The Thinkpad is made by IBM.  The operating system is Windows XP.

Some computer companies put their own software for managing/connecting to WiFi network. Windows also has its own built-in functions that can be used to connect to WiFi networks. So, bory504 was asking are you using the IBM WiFi software or what is built into Windows.

#5 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Some computer companies put their own software for managing/connecting to WiFi network. Windows also has its own built-in functions that can be used to connect to WiFi networks. So, bory504 was asking are you using the IBM WiFi software or what is built into Windows.

I've never used wifi before.  How can I tell the difference?

#6 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

Ok, it will be kind of hard for me to describe how both look so lets go a different route. Is there any way you can plug up a ethernet wire to the laptop to get internet?

Sincerely, Blake.

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

The "homeowner" may have dhcp turned off thus requiring a static address to be used.

Please list the steps that you take to try to use the WiFi. This will tell us if you are using ibm software or windows.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#8 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

Ok, it will be kind of hard for me to describe how both look so lets go a different route. Is there any way you can plug up a ethernet wire to the laptop to get internet?

Yes, I am on the laptop now that I want to be able to use wirelessly.

#9 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

The "homeowner" may have dhcp turned off thus requiring a static address to be used.

Please list the steps that you take to try to use the WiFi. This will tell us if you are using ibm software or windows.

There is an icon on the task bar for a wireless connection.  I right click to view available wireless networks.  I find the homeowner's connection and press "connect".  I see a message stating that it is trying to acquire network address.  After a few moments I just see "automatic" in the corner of the homeowner's network but I'm not connected wirelessly.

Edited by Passion4Muzik, 16 September 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#10 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

When you say that Windows says that you're connected wirelessly, is there any yellow exclamation mark where you right click to view connections, or does it look like a standard wireless connection? Capture-7.jpg

#11 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

When you say that Windows says that you're connected wirelessly, is there any yellow exclamation mark where you right click to view connections, or does it look like a standard wireless connection? Capture-7.jpg

Sorry, I meant "not connected".

#12 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

It doesn't help that I showed the wrong picture. Windows XP wireless connections don't look like the picture I posted. *Sorry about that*

*You will need to temporarily disable your Local Area Connection to perform this task* Otherwise, you'll get ip address conflicting.

Let's try this.

1.Hold Windows key *It's the key that's right beside the Alt on the left* and press R. This will open a run dialog box.

2.Type cmd and hit enter.

3. A black box will pop up which is called a command prompt.

4. Type ipconfig /all and write down all the values that you see starting with IP address and ending with DNS servers. *This will be under your local area connection*

5.Go to Start-Control Panel-Network and Internet Connections-Network Connections.

6.Find your wireless connection adapter, right click and go to properties.

7. You should see Internet Protocols (TCP/IP)

8. Click on this and select properties.

9. Change where it says obtain automatically to specify and then enter the same values that you copied from step 4.

10. Click ok and then Close

11. Perform the same steps you mentioned above to connect

*THIS IS GOING TO TEST IF THE HOMEOWNER IS USING DHCP, OR FORCING STATIC ADDRESS'*

Edited by chrisd87, 16 September 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#13 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

You can also try to see if there are Windows updates or an updated driver for your wireless.

Sincerely, Blake.

#14 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

It doesn't help that I showed the wrong picture. Windows XP wireless connections don't look like the picture I posted. *Sorry about that*

*You will need to temporarily disable your Local Area Connection to perform this task* Otherwise, you'll get ip address conflicting.

Let's try this.

1.Hold Windows key *It's the key that's right beside the Alt on the left* and press R. This will open a run dialog box.

2.Type cmd and hit enter.

3. A black box will pop up which is called a command prompt.

4. Type ipconfig /all and write down all the values that you see starting with IP address and ending with DNS servers. *This will be under your local area connection*

5.Go to Start-Control Panel-Network and Internet Connections-Network Connections.

6.Find your wireless connection adapter, right click and go to properties.

7. You should see Internet Protocols (TCP/IP)

8. Click on this and select properties.

9. Change where it says obtain automatically to specify and then enter the same values that you copied from step 4.

10. Click ok and then Close

11. Perform the same steps you mentioned above to connect

*THIS IS GOING TO TEST IF THE HOMEOWNER IS USING DHCP, OR FORCING STATIC ADDRESS'*

I tried that and the same thing happened when I tried to connect.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

I right click to view available wireless networks.

I find the homeowner's connection and press "connect".

I see a message stating that it is trying to acquire network address.

After a few moments I just see "automatic" in the corner of the homeowner's network but I'm not connected wirelessly.

Is this your home network? Did it asked for a passkey and entered the right password?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users