Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm actually an old guy named Tom...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 t00tsipye

t00tsipye

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

A programmer from the 1950's, now quite easily confused and frustrated by the modern stuff, I think of the old phrase: "Like trying to drink from a firehose!"  Love for many things, including the universe, young people, old people, animals, science, math, words, nature, family, the USA, and God in three persons defines life for me.  I hope to make some friends here, to learn some useful things, and, hopefully, to accomplish something positive for someone here, as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Tom, I read your intro and breathed a huge sigh of relief.....

"" Love for many things, including the universe, young people, old people, animals, science, math, words, nature, family, the USA, and God in three persons defines life for me.""

Amen.

Brian ......

(another old bloke)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 t00tsipye

t00tsipye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thanks, Brian!  I guess I've met a new friend!

Now that I look at the handle I chose for a user ID, I'm a bit embarrassed....t00tsipye???  I just typed something without thinking.  Oh well!

Not very adept at navigating a web forum, I'll probably flounder for awhile.  I landed on this site when I searched online for some way to disable PC FixSpeed, which seems to have planted itself on my system uninvited.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

G'day Tom,

...did you manage to get rid of PC FixSpeed ?

yes, I know the feeling about navigating a forum.....i still find myself completely lost from time to time....but the satisfaction I get from being here outweighs the occasional frustration !

I ended up here after doing something stupid and taking on a load of 'nasties'.....the 'learning curve' associated with running scans and posting results was no curve...it was a vertical line !!   However, i now have a few years experience under my belt, and can help others to some degree.....when I can't, I simply pass it on to the real experts !

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 t00tsipye

t00tsipye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

My apology for the extended period without reply!  Actually, Brian, I still am seeing FixSpeed's popup, and have done nothing about it other than ignore and cancel it each time. 

A different issue is now pestering me.  Besides my primary computer with Windows 7,  I have an HP laptop, about 7 or 8 years old, I think, with Windows XP on it.  It apparently became infected with some malware that seemed to be using the laptop for its own purposes.  It made the laptop terribly slow, so I "disabled" all of its network connections, and relegated the laptop to serving as a depository for a variety of files I like to keep backed up.  With networks disabled, it operated at acceptable speed. 

But very recently I set up a wireless connection for my primary system, which had previously been running via a direct cable connection to the Internet.  The wireless connection was necessary in order to serve my wife's new Kindle.

Both my primary system and the laptop have DropBox installed.  With networks disabled for the laptop, its DropBox was inactive, but suddenly became active when I installed the router for my wife's Kindle!  All network connections are still disabled, according to Windows XP, but DropBox activity is ongoing!  Moreover, the laptop has become incredibly slow again, and reveals a great deal of HD activity.  This has forced me to shut the laptop down.  When I try to use it, it takes "forever" to boot up, and the incessant disk activity resumes.

I'm suspecting that "disabled", as reported by Windows XP, is not really true.  Perhaps I will have to find and remove the laptop's network adapter.  What do you think?

Regards, Tom

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

G'day again Tom, good to hear from you.

DropBox :....add dropbox to the firewall list of things to block. That will stop it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-configure-windows-xp-firewall/#exceptions ) <<<< a good read !

Pc fixspeed has come to you on the back of some other download. Annoying little blighter. It has 'rootkit" type abilities.....it seems to burrow its way deep into the innards so it can 'do its thing'!!....have you had the situation occur where your browser redirects your search??......that will be one of pcfixspeeds little ploys.

I can give you the programs and instructions to download and run to get rid of it, if you would like to do that. It is a neat, relatively quick fix .

Regards,

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users