Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faulty PSU My Problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brunell4070

Brunell4070

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Hi all,

I am new here but experienced some computer problems this morning before heading to work. I entered my Gateway LX 6810-01 desktop into sleep mode last night, and this morning when I attempted to turn it on it just remained in sleep mode (Apparently this is common for this device after reading this morning). Well I shut it down and rebooted it, only to find my fan going at full speed, but zero activity on the monitor; keyboard; etc. (Power button on tower was blue)

So following that I am under the impression my PSU is shot and needs to be replaced - but after restarting my computer multiple times the situation changed. It no longer gave any response at all - I would press the power button and nothing would happen. No light, No fan, No noise. I didn't have much time to look inside this morning and will clean out the whole inside once I get off work. But judging off of this, do you think it could still be a broken PSU or a more serious problem? I planned on going to the store at lunch and buying a new 500 W power supply to replace the ***allegedly broken 400 W. 

All input would be appreciated. Thanks so much,

Miles

Quick edit: Majority of machine is stock besides video card - upgraded to ATI 4650 HD. 

Also for clarity of sequence of events - Problem 1 (Fan loud; power blue) - open computer to blow out dust - Problem 2 (no response at all)

Made sure video card was firmly in place. Was dusty so will clean tonight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Could be many things at this juncture....virus, registry error, driver error, etc.

If the PSU doesn't help I'd disconnect the hard drive and see if you can get a BIOS screen. If you can, it is probably software-related. I'd pull the hard drive and mount it into another computer and run chkdsk. If it reads no errors I'd run some AV scans on it.

If you can't get to BIOS then try swapping your CMOS battery. If that doesn't work....it's probably the motherboard.

#3 DavidBetournay

DavidBetournay

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Unplug computer. Remove video card and any other cards like wireless, disconnect all drives. (DVD, Hard Drive...) Unplug all external connections except monitor. Pull out ram, blow out slots, insert 1 stick. Clear CMOS if you know how. Plug in and press power, anything? If you have two ram sticks switch sticks and switch slots.

Could be any of: Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU.

If the test failed I would unplug ALL powersupply connections and google ATX powersupply trick to turn it on. It is not the "best" thing for a powersupply but you can test to see if it is alive or dead that way.

Post your findings.

-David Betournay

Edited by DavidBetournay, 13 September 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Take a step back.

First- if it is the original power supply, look on the rear of the PSU for a diagnostic LED (It might have one).  WIth it plugged in, it should be lit up solid and not blinking.  Blinking= bad PSU.

Pull off the tower's side cover- what are the PSU specs?  Brand etc?

Take a look around.  Is your power button lead still hooked to the header?  I admit to knocking one loose when cleaning out a system .  Does the motherboard have any LEDs that indicate it is getting standby power?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users