Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 vs Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Korkel

Korkel

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hiya,

Most of you use Windows 8, next month Windows 8.1 where you get the start button back and more options.

What do you think? Will Windows 8.1 be beter than Windows 8.1? Will there come a option to hide the start button? Because I don't need it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freakassoid

freakassoid

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

hello

well your in luck there is already a program to disable the start button for win 8.1 lol

Windows 8.1 program kills the Start button because no one can ever be happy
hxxp://www.neowin.net/news/windows-81-program-kills-the-start-button-because-no-one-can-ever-be-happy

i tryed the Win 8.1 iso download from Microsoft in Virtualbox and did not care for it so i'm going to wait to install

Win 8.1 on my pc and see what other people think about there update experience before i upgrade

thanks

James

:)

#3 Korkel

Korkel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

hello

well your in luck there is already a program to disable the start button for win 8.1 lol

Windows 8.1 program kills the Start button because no one can ever be happy
hxxp://www.neowin.net/news/windows-81-program-kills-the-start-button-because-no-one-can-ever-be-happy

i tryed the Win 8.1 iso download from Microsoft in Virtualbox and did not care for it so i'm going to wait to install

Win 8.1 on my pc and see what other people think about there update experience before i upgrade

thanks

James

:)

That will be awesome, will give it a try!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

I like the start button in Windows 8 that I have courtesy of "Classic Shell"

So I may not do the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 unless there is some other compelling reason to do the upgrade. This system is Stable and Runs everything I need.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Korkel

Korkel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

I like the start button in Windows 8 that I have courtesy of "Classic Shell"

So I may not do the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 unless there is some other compelling reason to do the upgrade. This system is Stable and Runs everything I need.

Roger

Haha, it is free why would you not do it? :/

Can you btw do a downgrade if you have 8.1?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

I like the way Windows 8 runs with "Classic Shell" Installed. Why change and hope I like it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

That is what works for me.

"Can you btw do a downgrade if you have 8.1?"

I do not know as officially Windows 8.1 isn't out yet. The Windows 8.1 release date is October 17, 2013

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 Korkel

Korkel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

I like the way Windows 8 runs with "Classic Shell" Installed. Why change and hope I like it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

That is what works for me.

"Can you btw do a downgrade if you have 8.1?"

I do not know as officially Windows 8.1 isn't out yet. The Windows 8.1 release date is October 17, 2013

Roger

What do you think? I think yes with system restore because it is an Windows update.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Over time system restore points scroll off and are gone.

As I see it why take a chance when I'm happy with Windows as it is?

From What I've seen Windows 8.1 still will not be like Windows 7 whereas Windows 8 with Classic Shell is like Windows 7 in my opinion.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 Korkel

Korkel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Over time system restore points scroll off and are gone.

As I see it why take a chance when I'm happy with Windows as it is?

From What I've seen Windows 8.1 still will not be like Windows 7 whereas Windows 8 with Classic Shell is like Windows 7 in my opinion.

Roger

Nop, it will not be the same, you keep the titles but some more feautures (how do I spell it?) for it!

#10 alan.waker

alan.waker

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

People have been hating Windows 8 for no Start Button, and those who like Windows 8, will be hating Windows 8.1 because of Start Button :P The end Result is Hate, i think :/

#11 Korkel

Korkel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

People have been hating Windows 8 for no Start Button, and those who like Windows 8, will be hating Windows 8.1 because of Start Button :P The end Result is Hate, i think :/

It's never good, that is because we are humans. We like it to rant about something.

#12 captpicard61

captpicard61

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

The Windows 8.1 start button is NOT like the classic start buttons or old.  it just takes you to the metro UI.  If you want to boot directly to desktop, there is a setting on the tasl nar properties that says boot directly to desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users