Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking a hard drive in diff comp and OS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff27589

Jeff27589

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hello , I had a house fire and my computer got damaged mainly on the outside cosmetic and melted the front panel with power on and off button the dvd drives etc... my question is upon opening it and looking inside of it everything looks to be in pretty good shape I am trying to find out how I can check and see if my hard drive in that computer has any recoverable data , it was a dell pc with Vista OS  , I now have a HP with windows 7 , is there a way to do this ?  Thanks for any information

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

You can put the hard drive in your HP. Then turn on the computer and go into the bios. From there, it should be listed under the storage tab, or any tab that shows what is connected. If it's showing up in the bios, then Windows should have no problem detecting the drive, and mounting it for you as an secondary drive where you can see the data.

*Note*

You will need the proper connections to do this. If you old hard drive uses an IDE connection, then you will need an IDE cable in order to connect it. If the hard drive used a sata connection, then you'll need a sata cable in order to connect it.

Edited by chrisd87, 13 September 2013 - 02:53 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 Jeff27589

Jeff27589
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Thank you Chris, I wasn't sure if I could do that seeing as it has a different OS on it 

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

The os doesn't matter. If you were going to use it as a primary hdd then it would, but since you already have a primary hdd with win7 on it, then using that drive as a secondary won't hurt anything.

Edited by chrisd87, 13 September 2013 - 07:29 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users