Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tomatetoro

tomatetoro

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

I tried putting my hard drive onto a new laptop of the same type, Windows XP Professional, and I cannot get internet on it no matter what I do.

But it works on my old computer, which is also Windows XP Professional, so I'm using it currently.

I cannot click repair, connect, properties, or anything.

3zp9.png

zdz9.png

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2013 - 07:47 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mtnchick

mtnchick

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Try uninstalling the Intel wireless software.  Some versions of that are not compatible with some wireless cards.  It may work without or you may need a different version. 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

I tried putting my hard drive onto a new laptop of the same type, Windows XP Professional, and I cannot get internet on it no matter what I do.

But it works on my old computer, which is also Windows XP Professional, so I'm using it currently.

Your problem is that you cannot just take a hard drive out of one computer, stick it into another, and expect the second one to work. Even if they are of the same model it is likely that there are hardware differences which will require different drivers. Having the same operating system is not paricularly relevant to this situation - it's the match up between the registry, the hardware and the necessary drivers.

If you need a hard drive for this other computer, you would find it much easier to buy a new hard drive and re-install the sytem onto the new drive. As an alternative, if the second laptop has a recovery partition, you could try using that on its own hard drive. But if the hard drive from the second computer is broken, then a new hard drive and rebuild is the answer. You won't need to buy a new copy of the OS so long as you have the original activation number.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 BrittneyD

BrittneyD

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Go to the Device Manager and expand the Network group. See if your wireless card has a red or yellow mark next to it. If it does, then you need to install the correct driver for that particular piece of hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users