Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

drivers in dell 1555 won't work after installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thechilidog

thechilidog

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

BACKGROUND---

I have just taken over care of a proprietary laptop. I installed the Vista disk and using the original drivers disk I installed the drivers needed, from what I could tell.  (I didn't need card readers or  bluetooth for basic function, etc) so I skipped them.

Drivers I installed are NOW properly listed in the C:\Dell folder.    BUT----sound, wifi, video don't work yet--so evidently my installs failed!

I wanted to update drivers ( network, bios and audio drivers are new)  but I was waiting for the old drivers to work so I use the computer itself to download the updates into the laptop.  Then it probably recognizes what I have and still need.

TODAY--

I have read since my install a week ago that a certain install order must be followed.  I had no knowledge of that and initially I did try the audio and wifi drivers first just to see how the process would go.  

Could that have been an error that stopped every other driver from loading?

I am willing to start over and reinstall in that order--but-------------

IS IT POSSIBLE TO UNINSTALL or DELETE CURRENT DRIVERS COMPLETELY  AND START FROM SCRATCH?

Can I do that?

OR is there some other button I have to push in a Dell to make the drivers wake up?

I have uses generic PCs since the 80s, installing drivers was easier than this.  This proprietary stuff is a puzzle.  I have asked at the Dell community forum--no answer yet.  This is an older laptop--not commonly viewed in the forum.

Any helpful idea would be appreciated!

TheChilidog

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

I use the computer itself to download the updates into the laptop.

I take it from this that the computer is working if only at some basic level using the generic Windows drivers. Generally, the logical sequence for installing drivers is :

Windows

Chipset drivers

SATA drivers if necessary (Windows may prompt for these if needed during installation)

Video

Audio

LAN and WLAN

You say the drivers you have downloaded are in the C:\DELL folder. Have you actually run these files to install them into Windows ?  I suspect the files you have in this folder are the installers and they need to be 'run' - 'Start / Run/ Browse to and select / Open/ OK'

One nice thing about Dells is that they normally come with a barcode stuck on them somewhere, it may be outside on the case or inside it. If you type the barcode number into the Dell Suupport page, you will get taken to a page listing all the drivers for your model !  I wish more manufacturers did this.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

is there not a recovery drive on this Dell system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users