Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after uninstalling GPU drivers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Deacon.ie

Deacon.ie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hi.

I uninstalled my video card driver in device manager, my computer went to default video. I then tried to install different driver and it said something like "No compatable hardware found". I rebooted to a black screen, even on POST. I can hear windows loading fully but not even a flicker on screen. I've tried booting with external monitor (DVI), pressing Win-P when windows was loaded, tested HDD in desktop, reseated RAM and checked all connections. I can't remove CMOS battery as it is soldered to Mobo, so i shorted it out for 24hrs, still the same!!.

My question is, if i take out my graphics chip from Mobo and reboot will it help me, or just make things worse?.

Thanks in advance for any help

Custom build Laptop

Compal ILF90 Motherboard

Intel dual core duo (Can't remember version)

Nvidia GeForce 8600GT

Windows7 Ultimate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Have you tried booting into safe mode to see if it will trigger the default video to kick in?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 Deacon.ie

Deacon.ie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Have you tried booting into safe mode to see if it will trigger the default video to kick in?

Thanks for your reply chrisd87. I have no idea which key to press, i have  tried some "F" keys and key combinations, but to no avail. My thinking is the Mobo maybe has some sort of boot order and thinks i have a graphics card installed, so by taking out the chip it might force it to use default.

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Typically it's the F8 key that you press constantly, and then select the first option to boot into safe mode. If you have no display at all, not even at post then it may be hard to tell. I wouldn't mess with the graphics chip as it may cause more problems than good.

#5 Deacon.ie

Deacon.ie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Typically it's the F8 key that you press constantly, and then select the first option to boot into safe mode. If you have no display at all, not even at post then it may be hard to tell. I wouldn't mess with the graphics chip as it may cause more problems than good.

I'll google it and try the keys again. Thank you

Edited by Deacon.ie, 13 September 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

did you have a video card originally? If you have two video devices available you need to remove one, easily the add on card. The computer will always primarily load the add on card before onboard. Only by removing the add on card will it revert back to the default onboard video.

#7 Deacon.ie

Deacon.ie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

did you have a video card originally? If you have two video devices available you need to remove one, easily the add on card. The computer will always primarily load the add on card before onboard. Only by removing the add on card will it revert back to the default onboard video.

Thanks for your reply Netghost56. No, just the 8600GT and as you can imagine it's quite a big job to remove it, in the hope it will default. I have no problem stripping the laptop and removing the card. But my limited knowledge of what the end result may be makes me hesitant to proceed.

#8 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Net, he has a laptop like he mentioned in the op. Have you tried the F8 hotkey to see if you can boot into safemode and kick in the default vga? If it's not the F8 key, did you google it to see which key enables safe mode?

Edited by chrisd87, 15 September 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#9 Deacon.ie

Deacon.ie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Net, he has a laptop like he mentioned in the op. Have you tried the F8 hotkey to see if you can boot into safemode and kick in the default vga? If it's not the F8 key, did you google it to see which key enables safe mode?

I've tried every F****** key. lol.

I tried keys and key combo's for any brand i could find that uses the ILF90, i don't think i got into safe mode and if i did , it didn't work. I use a fingerprint scanner to log on so i know when it's booted normal because it's disabled in safe mode. Do you happen to know is there any disc or software out there to maybe reset my bios, force it to default, load drivers or something?

I'm going to put a newly formatted HDD in and boot to windows install disc, try do a blind install, maybe it will default. I really don't think that it will work, but i'm willing to try anything at this stage.

Edited by Deacon.ie, 15 September 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#10 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

I've tried every F****** key. lol.

I tried keys and key combo's for any brand i could find that uses the ILF90, i don't think i got into safe mode and if i did , it didn't work. I use a fingerprint scanner to log on so i know when it's booted normal because it's disabled in safe mode. Do you happen to know is there any disc or software out there to maybe reset my bios, force it to default, load drivers or something?

I'm going to put a newly formatted HDD in and boot to windows install disc, try do a blind install, maybe it will default. I really don't think that it will work, but i'm willing to try anything at this stage.

You can try Hirens boot cd. That will clear the bios for you. Don't know how you would get into it though. I don't know of any software off the top of my head or google search that will clear the bios without needing to see the screen.

Just a thought, but have you removed the battery- held down the power button for 1 minute, reinserted the battery- press power button   to see if it will power up?

Here is a guide to help you reset the bios on a laptop.

Edited by chrisd87, 15 September 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#11 Deacon.ie

Deacon.ie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

The power button was one of the first things i tried. I'll give your other suggestions a try tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

Thanks

Edited by Deacon.ie, 15 September 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#12 Deacon.ie

Deacon.ie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Well guys, having exhausted all avenues I resorted to baking my card and it's working perfectly now.

Thanks for all your help!

#13 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Well guys, having exhausted all avenues I resorted to baking my card and it's working perfectly now.

Thanks for all your help!

Can you please elaborate on what you mean?

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

He means he reflowed it, heating up to oven temperature, which will partly melt the solder and allow it to reweld itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users