Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 macrip3

macrip3

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hello, My friend (Dale)'s laptop beeps like four times everytime it starts up.  It works fine afterwards.  No error message.  I hope his hard drive is not going bad, What could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Different BIOSes have different beep codes.  Check the Laptop manual if he has one, or download one from the Manufacturer's website.  You might find the answer by searching on Google, for beep codes, by reference to the Laptop model.

Edited by petewills , 13 September 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Here's a page of BIOS beep codes, as well as HPs' (as I suspect it to be a HP laptop).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07107#N932

I'm betting its the CMOS battery, or if BIOS was upgraded it was a bad flashing.

#4 macrip3

macrip3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

No, My friend's Laptop is actually Dell Latitude

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Run the Dell Diagnostics, Dell PC Diagnostiics .

Louis

#6 RaviAtDell

RaviAtDell

Authorized Dell Rep

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

Hi macrip3,

4 Beep codes on a Dell Latitude system is related to RAM Read/Write failureas suggested by hamluis. Please run the hardware diagnostics on the system.  Also, you can update the BIOS on the system to check if it fixes the issue. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the operating system, and then download the BIOS from the BIOS section onto the system and install it.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19

Also, you can remove and reseat the memories on the system to check if the beep codes vanish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users