Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Currently running programs stop working, and new programs won't start.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlyRuth

AlyRuth

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

The past three days, it's happened about twice a day to me. Just at seemingly random times, my currently running programs stop working and attempting to open new programs just results in the program's icon being momentarily highlighted in the taskbar, and then it disappears, as if the program automatically closed itself. This even works for simple programs like Notepad or Paint. Any currently running programs usually crash or stop working. All of my tabs in Chrome will have the pages using Shockwave crash, and attempting to open any new tabs or navigate to new pages will just result in a white screen. The computer is fast and responsive on the desktop (ie, I can open and close the start menu and highlight programs on my desktop with a mouse rollover), and nothing on my computer is frozen, just not working. 

This all happens just at one single moment when everything stops working right, and I have to manually shut down the computer, because going through Windows to shut down or log off does not result in anything. Upon startup, everything is back to normal. CTRL+ALT+DEL command results in a black screen with the cursor visible, but nothing happens.

I was recently infected with quite a bit of malware, but as far as I know, I got it all off. I don't know if this is was "malware" or just my computer being a bleep. What do you guys think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

What malware did you find and remove?  What did you do to find and remove it?  You may not have gotten all of it.

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

I was recently infected with quite a bit of malware, but as far as I know, I got it all off. I don't know if this is was "malware" or just my computer being a bleep. What do you guys think?

I think this topic may need to be moved to the Am I Infected forum just to make sure you're not still infected. If they say it's not malware, then have it moved back here and we continue on.

Edited by chrisd87, 13 September 2013 - 09:45 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

I think this topic may need to be moved to the Am I Infected forum just to make sure you're not still infected. If they say it's not malware, then have it moved back here and we continue on.

Agreed

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

From your previous topic:

I think it is worth having a deeper look following the symptoms you're experiencing

-------------------------------

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6.  If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==  Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

That would also be my suggestion.  IMO...most "self-clean" efforts by members with serious infections...fall short of achieving success.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users