Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Studio 1558 vs Dell Studio 1737 - Which is the better laptop?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NXS

NXS

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

Thanks to my cousin's tendency to destroy old things to coerce his mom into buying newer gear, he smashed the screen on his Dell Studio 1558. She broke down and bought him a new Alienware PC and gave the 1558 to me.  The only thing wrong with the system IS the cracked screen, I've hooked it up to both my HD television through the HDMI port as well as the VGA port and the system boots into the bios and Windows without any issues whatsoever. 

Here's where my questions come into play...

I currently own a Dell Studio 1737 - a system with 4gb of ram(800MHz), an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @ 2.4GHz (P8600). 

the 1737 runs hot... even on flat, smooth surfaces in a room that--on average--stays approximately 72 degrees, and the laptop seems to bog down at times as a result. 

I've read that this is common with this particular model (the Studio 1737) but I've owned a Studio 1555 before that had the same system configuration in terms of CPU and ram, and it never overheated on me under any circumstances. I have inspected the heat sync for the CPU and the GFX chip and there are no issues with any broken or loosened screws / screw clasps, and I've also checked out the cooling fan and the rest of the case for any residual dust, but there was none to be had (the computer had been in a smoke-free environment). 

The replacement screen for the 1558 costs just under $60 dollars, and aside from that, it is fully functional. and after running for well over an hour it doesn't appear to be nearly as hot as the 1737.

Here are the system specs for the Studio 1558 

3gb of ram (1066MHz), an Intel Core i3 CPU M330 @ 2.13GHz

So that said I am wondering the following questions:

1. Which laptop would you prefer? the 1737 (The 1737 obviously has a larger screen, but again runs hot) or the Studio 1558?

2. I know the memory is not compatible (the key slots are in different locations) but are the processors compatible? For whichever system I end up keeping I obviously want the strongest processor if there are no compatibility issues.

3. Both laptops have 64-bit capable processors, which means they can run 8gb of memory (2x4gb). I have heard that with a 64-bit operating system that both can essentially max out at 16gb of memory... is this true? 

4. Though the 1558 has only 3GHz of memory, it runs at 1066MHz, whereas the 4gb of memory I have in my 1737 runs at only 800MHz. Performance-wise, which would run better? Yes, I realize that technically more memory means better performance, but there's a bit of a difference between 800MHz and 1066MHz. 

5. Which processor would you prefer? The Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @ 2.4GHz (P8600) or the Intel Core i3 M 330 @ 2.13ghz?

Again, if it were up to you? Which PC would you prefer? If you say the 1737, what steps could I take in addition to the ones I've already tried (disassembling and checking for dust, of which there was virtually none) to keep it from running so hot?  If you say the 1558, and the processor (if compatible) from the 1737 fits would it make a noticeable difference in terms of processing power compared to that of the 1558?

Again, here are the system specifications of most importance:

Dell Studio 1558 - 3gb of ram (1066MHz), an Intel Core i3 CPU M330 @ 2.13GHz  -- a Dell Studio model with a smaller screen.

versus a 

Dell Studio 1737 - a system with 4gb of ram(800MHz), an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @ 2.4GHz (P8600). -- a model that is apparently known for running hot.

Since we already know the memory cannot be swapped out between the systems, I am wondering if the processors can be? Also, if you say the 1737, do you have any suggestions as to how to go about making it run cooler; and thus more efficiently? 

I look forward to all feedback because if the 1558 can ultimately be the better system, then I do not mind springing the $60 bucks needed to replace the screen. If the 1737 is the route I should stick with and I decide to fix the 1558 to sell it, what would be a fair price to charge for it? What about vice-versa? 

Thanks again for ALL positive (no trolling please) feedback! Your help is not only greatly appreciated but is also absolutely necessary for me to determine which system I need to keep!

Thanks in advance! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

I'd grab the Dell Studio 1558 with the i3, replace the screen ($55), max it out with 8GB of RAM ($80) and hang a SSD in it ($220).

#3 NXS

NXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

I'd grab the Dell Studio 1558 with the i3, replace the screen ($55), max it out with 8GB of RAM ($80) and hang a SSD in it ($220).

So the i3 is the stronger processor of the two? I will definitely max out the ram, and as far as the SSD goes, while I would LOVE to have one, at present time, its simply out of my budget.  Thanks for the feedback and the time taken to leave it! =) 

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

The P8600 does have a higher operating frequency and is 29% more energy efficient. However, the i3-330M integrates Hyper-Threading technology which allows it to run twice as many threads, it also incorporates SSE4.2 instructions as well as an integrated HD GPU. The GPU is not fast enough to play the latest games with all settings on, but it can be used for casual gaming and 3D applications.

#5 NXS

NXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

The P8600 does have a higher operating frequency and is 29% more energy efficient. However, the i3-330M integrates Hyper-Threading technology which allows it to run twice as many threads, it also incorporates SSE4.2 instructions as well as an integrated HD GPU. The GPU is not fast enough to play the latest games with all settings on, but it can be used for casual gaming and 3D applications.

Thanks so much for your feedback. As I said, the 1737 has a tendency to run really hot... and I've checked the heat sync and the coolant sealing gels... I believe it's just a major design flaw in ventilation that hinders the performance of the 1737.  It's a shame too, because the screen is really nice, but that's about it's only redeeming quality... 

#6 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

You're welcome. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users