Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another AV question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

I'm fairly comfortable with what I have on my own computer.  I use Avast, have for a few years and I don't mind it.  BUT, like many other programs, they do TRY to trick and manipulate you.  Like so many others, they try to throw in extra software like chrome... Have to go through that with updating several programs I run.
But also, anytime you update it or have to register it(once a year) you have to give it your email address and most importantly, be careful what you click.  The FREE version is always TINY and grayed out...  BIG arrows pointing at the BIG GREEN button for the paid version.  There's one place where you have to REALLY look to see the option to stick with the free version sometimes.
I am used to this and get over it even though it's frustrating... because, I still like the program.  I still trust it.

BUT...  Sometimes I'm putting AV software on someone else's computer.  MANY people out there don't want to be bothered with anything... they don't want ANY popups(not even saying it's up to date), they don't want to SEE updates, etc...  They want it ALL just running automatically for them.  I understand that.
About a year or so ago I started looking at MSE.  On Cnet, it has good ratings.  And more importantly, it's ALL updated and such through windows and so, no hassle for the user.  I was getting ready to start recommending that to people when Cnet posted a link to AV-test.org saying that MSE has continually failed their tests.  They weren't happy with them.  To this day AV-test still gives MSE a REALLY low rating, even though Cnet still gives it 5 stars.
I even see people here recommend it from time to time...  and I'm just wondering about it.  Well, that's slightly off topic but I brought it up...  ha.  AV-test is a site that is supposedly dedicated to nothing but testing AV software... so, I would expect they would know better than a general software site such as Cnet as to how well an AV REALLY protects.  Thoughts? 

Anyway, I have to put AV software on people's computers from time to time and I want the safest AND easiest to use for them because SO many people just ignore things that popup and do not read what they click on.  They end up with software they didn't want, accidentally getting stuck in the trial of the paid version, etc...  The average computer user just doesn't pay attention. 
Any thoughts on all of that are welcome but my real question is simple...  I know there are several REALLY good FREE AVs out there.  Which one(s) do you all think are the easiest to use as far as running/protecting with very little(if any) interaction with the user? 
MSE seems to fit what I'm looking for but I'm just not confident in their actual protection I guess.  Anyway...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:07 AM

To this day AV-test still gives MSE a REALLY low rating, even though Cnet still gives it 5 stars.
I still use M.S.E. no matter what any site says, just because I am happy with it.

Make sure you also have the Firewall turned on.

Do NOT download it (or many other programs) from CNet site as they use a "Wrapper" to track your downloads etc.....
Use the genuine M/soft site only Microsoft Security Essentials

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

The average computer user just doesn't pay attention.

Then they have no excuse to complain. It is up to each user to educate themselves.

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. Security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone could have.

You are doing your job by explaining this. :thumbup2:

But if folks don't want to listen or be bothered with bloated software and pop-up advertising (which helps defray the cost of a free product), then they always have the option to pay for a product if learning is too much to contend with for using something free.

BTW, see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users