Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"side by side" error in Excel 2010

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scblair

scblair

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Working on a client's computer running Win 7 Home Premium and Office 2010. When opening Excel it crashes stating there is an "side by side" error, event ID 59.

here's the dialog box: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL,EXE The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"

Following is from the event log:

Activation content generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE.Manifest" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.

Also PowerPoint opens OK but when trying to open a file it says that there is a problem with the content of the file. Attempts to repair don't work. The file opens on other systems so it is not the file.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the C++ packages with no help. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2013 - 01:02 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Right-click "Microsoft Office 2010" in "Uninstall or change a program" and select "Change". Select "Repair", click the "Continue" button and follow the onscreen instructions.

#3 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

Right-click "Microsoft Office 2010" in "Uninstall or change a program" and select "Change". Select "Repair", click the "Continue" button and follow the onscreen instructions.

I believe he stated he already attempted to repair it:

"Also PowerPoint opens OK but when trying to open a file it says that there is a problem with the content of the file. Attempts to repair don't work."

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Could be I suppose. At the time it sounded like they had attempted to repair the PowerPoint file.

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

Uninstall/reinstall Office...then add any critical updates and SPs.

IME, many Office errors are caused by file corruption.

Louis

#6 scblair

scblair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Thanks all. I tried initially to do a repair from within the Control Panel as SPywareDoc suggested, but it for some reason wouldn't work. I had also done a complete uninstall/reinstall prior (actualy did a whole system format and reinstall as I had put a new drive in). However running Repair from the original Office 2010 disk seemed to have done the trick. This poor guy's had more trouble with his Office installation than it's worth. Hence why I still use 2003. Also because I'm cheap and lazy.

Lesson learned: remember to try the easiest solution first, 

#7 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

Good to hear the problem's been resolved. Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users