Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosts file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iLoveIceCream

iLoveIceCream

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

I tried to block the website itools.cn by adding its IP address to my hosts file. I entered "ping itools.cn" on cmd and it showed the IP address. But instead of putting 127.0.0.1 it0ols.cn to my hosts file, I accidentally added the IP address of the website and the websites domain name. (121.14.---.--- itools.cn).

It was like this.

127.0.0.1 localhost
121.14.---.--- it0ols.cn

What would happen if you accidentally put this on the hosts file? Does it affect your computer or something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hi iLoveIceCream,

What would happen if you accidentally put this on the hosts file? Does it affect your computer or something?

The entry itself (its mere presence on your computer) doesn't do anything. However, if you tried to access itools[dot]com via a browser, the Hosts file would not serve its purpose: you would visit the site you were trying to avoid.

To truly block the site, use the following line (it seems like you already know that this needs to be done):
127.0.0.1 itools.cn
Once this line is added, any attempt to access the itools site would be unsuccessful, as the IP address 127.0.0.1 is the "loopback" address (it refers to your computer)

If you want more info about the Hosts file, make sure you read The Hosts File and What It Can Do For You

-r0d3r1ck

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

I'm not sure how much time you spend on editing/adding to your Hosts file, but...

MVPS.org has a customs Hosts file which you can download and use to replace the original one. Doing this is usally easier than editing the Hosts file yourself. For more information read Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File. There are links in the above page with special instructions for users of Windows 7/8 and Vista. There is also a link where you can register to receive update notices.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users