Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Belkin N150 wifi router drops connection frequenty

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 biren

biren

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

dear friend(s),

i am a complete amateur, and so i don't even know if i am giving you enough information. please let me know if any information is required.

i have been using an internet service which uses - as they call it - a wireless mesh networking. though, from their device (modem?), i get the signal through a cable.

recently i bought a belkin N150 wifi router for ease of use of internet on my laptop. 

a friend who is savvy in these matters set up the router, and i have been able to use it.

but there is one constant problem.

the pages load slowly sometimes. things would be working fine, and then suddenly pages would take time to load.

so i checked the ping times (using command prompt - ping -t 10.10.0.1).

the usual ping times i get - when i used to connect thru cable were in the range of 5 to 12ms.

when i checked this with wi-fi connection, the ping times vary, and go as much as 4000+ms. they would be normal for a while, and then suddenly a string of large ping times would appear.

this would happen even if i was sitting next to the router with my laptop.

to double check, i switched over to cable... and things got stable again.

(after this i checked reviews about N150 at some site, and found a few people had complained/reported a similar problem of dropping connection)

i hope someone can help me here.

thank you.
biren

Moderator Edit: Moved from External Hardware to a more appropriate forum.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 September 2013 - 09:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

You might want to see if there is a new firmware update for the router.

Do you know how to get into the router's settings? Or do you need instructions on how to do that?

You might need to be a little more specific on the model of the router as it appears that Belkin has a couple of routers that they put the N150 number on.

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-search?search=n150

#3 biren

biren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

thank you smax...

i appreciate your help. makes me feel, i am not alone out there. :)

i checked for the firmware. it is upto date.

i learned getting into router settings while i was tinkering... trying to get a clue about this problem.

the model number on the sticker is F9K1009 (version1)

the US site doesnot have the model. i am in India.

regards

biren

You might want to see if there is a new firmware update for the router.

Do you know how to get into the router's settings? Or do you need instructions on how to do that?

You might need to be a little more specific on the model of the router as it appears that Belkin has a couple of routers that they put the N150 number on.

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-search?search=n150

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

You hit the key thing...checking the firmware.

So, next things to try would be changing the channel that the router is using for the WiFi.  Does your laptop using 802.11g or 802.11n to connect to the router?

Are you using WiFi protection/encryption?  If so, you might try temporarily turning it off and see if things get better.

How far away from the router are you?  Anything between you and the router that might block the signal (thick masonry, metal piping, large appliances, microwave oven, etc) or interfere with the signal (other devices with some sort of wireless signal such as cordless phones, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users