Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton 2004 Security Alert

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gonsalves

gonsalves

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:39 PM

I use Norton 2004 0n win XP pro SP2. Since three days I am facing a peculiar problem. whenever I log on to the net The Norton AV icon disappears from the system tray and I receive the following message:'- virus provtection is turned off. Open your Norton product to resolve these issues. To prevent duplicate security alerts, use my Norton Product alerts and turn off redundant Windows Security Center alerts (recommended)'. When I tick the box an click OK nothing happens. I keep getting this annoying alert box every 30 sec or so. The help centre of Norton was not of much use .They say that it usually disappears after restarting. I do not want to reinstall Norton since I have only a dialup connection and updating Norton back to its present level would be very tedious and time consuming. Is this some sort of Denial of service? I Use Zone Alarm Free firewall which is uptodate. My Norton subscription is also current. I did a virus scan and found nothing.Can any of you friends tell me what is happening& how to solve it?The Norton status also turns to alert with auto protect turned off and Email scanning also turned off. Whwn I restart mu computer the problem disappears.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by gonsalves, 25 April 2006 - 01:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

have you done a live update recently?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:19 AM

Yes, I have done a live update about a week ago. Today onwards the Email scanning status shows error no matter whatever I do.

#4 v-nick

v-nick

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:00 PM

Hi. I was having a similar problem, but I found out how to fix it.
The cure to this stupid annoyance Symantec have kindly created is to go to C:/Program Files/Common Files/Symantec Shared/Security Centre.
In that folder there should be three yellow circles with a squiggly line in each, and named SymWSC, SymWSCNo and UsrPrmpt respectively.
Create a Temp Folder in Program Files and move these three files to that Temp Folder. This should clear things up immediately. Don't waste your time reinstalling Norton if you've already uninstalled it. If you get rid of it, just get a better program. There are some free ones out there.

#5 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:25 PM

Hi,
Tried the Temp folder trick an it works fine. But I have decided to switch over to AntiVir. Will uninstall the bloody Symantec old lady in a weeks time. I have already installed an ADSL connection and updating will be no problem now.Wonder how the thing started malfunctioning? Thanks for the Tip.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

Make sure you download AntiVir, disconnect from the Internet, uninstall Norton, reboot and then install AntiVir. You don't want two AV's running together at the same time in real-time protection mode because that can cause conflicts, instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

As long as you're trying to get rid of Norton anyway,
there are two programs written by Symantec that will assist you.
I've zipped them together and placed them Here
for easy download. The file is simply called "Norton Killer.exe".
It's a zip file, so unzip it by clicking on it and specify a folder someplace for it to put the
two files.
Run the .exe file first to remove all Norton files and folders,
then, run the .reg file by just clicking on it and following the two
prompts to remove up to 1891 registry entries created by Norton.

After that reboot your computer and it should be completely Norton FREE.

Cheers,
:thumbsup:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#8 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:25 AM

Thanks friend, I downloaded the Zip files and swept clean my system of Norton. I have now installed Antivir which is working without any problem. Is there a way I can update it a bit faster? I use a broadband connection now but the download speed from Antivir is still around 3 to 4 Kbps.and thanks again for the Zip files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users