Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Start After Replacing PSU

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LinuxPhreak

LinuxPhreak

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

I've had my HP Pavilion Media Center m7470n PC for quite some time now. I recently bought a 700W PSU from eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/380623964204?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Any how after removing the PSU and installing the one I listed in the link above I plug the computer in and the PSU starts up, along with all the other fans in the PC. But the monitor doesn't show anything. The monitors light is usually green when I'm using the computer and it remains orange with a black screen. After the power has been on for some time the orange light on the PC goes on and the PSU shuts off.

I tried putting the old PSU back in but I'm now experiencing the same issues with both PSU's what is wrong with my PC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

Did you make sure that the ATX 12V connector was plugged in? It's the 4 pin connector that typically resides beside the cpu.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 LinuxPhreak

LinuxPhreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Did you make sure that the ATX 12V connector was plugged in? It's the 4 pin connector that typically resides beside the cpu.

Yes I've noticed a difference with it the 12v connected and it not connected. When it is plugged in it stays powered on for about 2 minutes and when it isn't powered on it stays powered on for about 8 minutes before it goes to sleep mode.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

That's a bad PSU you purchased. From what I see I can only find that name on Ebay / some forums where the replies say to run away.

One of the good bad PSU signs is the way it has a fake SLI logo on a very cheap looking blog that was generated by an auto-translator yet cross-referencing it with nVidia shows there are no PSUs under that brand name with actual SLI certification.

Also found this online:

Just a heads up for this one. First, after researching I found no manufacturer information, so whoever manufactured these obviously did so using the name Kentek that belongs to a Laser parts company who does not manufacture power supplies, I called Kentek and was told I'm not the first to call or complain of the same issue. I purchased one on Ebay for my own computer an to write a review while I have yet to hear from the seller who has plenty more to sell. I suspect possible trademark and other legal issues besides the fact that motherboards of 600 watt or higher require the eight pin CPU connector, rarely six pin and never four pin that is just not right any way you look at it. Obviously either customs or some federal agency needs to investigate considering I would personally never attempt to use an adapter or modify the connections as there can be very serious complications or destroy one's motherboard. Too many people are trying to save money by building or repairing their own systems for such very inferior parts to be sold in such ways with obviously no oversight or at least this should be investigated considering there is talk or reviews stating systems are actually catching fire, exploding or destroying motherboards. I'm sending mine back to the seller on Ebay after writing him about the problem he has yet to answer my messages and it's becoming more and more obvious the seller was quit aware of this problem before selling such an inferior or possibly even illegal unlicensed product considering trade laws etc etc. I strongly suggest considering much further research of this product before purchasing. I'm also college schooled, Dell certified tech, many college courses in computer science, programming and have been building my own and other's systems for a few decades so i so know a little about computers though I don't claim to be a master, and I am very disappointed in this product and always sorry to report such things but I try to help others in any way I can, and this is only my own personal opinion so please don't base your own decisions based on my own opinion, legally or otherwise I don't claim to be an expert but I do suggest further research before purchasing this item

I tried putting the old PSU back in but I'm now experiencing the same issues with both PSU's what is wrong with my PC?

Pull your hard drive and mount it into another computer. I think you might have shorted out the motherboard....

#5 DavidBetournay

DavidBetournay

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Look at the wire colors on the 24pin ATX connectors and ensure that they are identical. Some OEMs (HP, dell, etc..) use proprietary layouts and there's a possibility the board or more is toast if it wasn't the same. I agree with the previous poster that the PSU in question is likely a Hong Kong/China import that promises "high features" at a low price. When it comes to PSU's you always get what you pay for.

- David Betournay

#6 LinuxPhreak

LinuxPhreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Anyone looking for spare computer parts from this once great pc which is now a door stop. I guess I'll be selling the RAM and Optical Drives and giving the mobo to my friend who scraps gold from these parts.

#7 LinuxPhreak

LinuxPhreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

PS: After looking at the connection areas on the mobo with a flash light I've seen what looks like burn or scortch marks of some type.

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Sorry to hear that. You can sell the parts on Ebay. :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users