Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Will Restart Instead of Shutting Down When Plugged In

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Glaring_Foil

Glaring_Foil

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

The topic pretty much says it all. I have an Inspiron 1545 with Vista SP2 that I'm working on for a customer, and it will only shut down when it's unplugged and running from the battery. Otherwise, hitting shutdown, sleep, or hibernate will cause the laptop to simply restart. 

The initial problem with the laptop was the user had inadvertently changed the SATA operation from ATA to AHCI, causing the laptop to blue screen and restart each time. I don't know why it was set to ATA to begin with, but that was the setting it wanted. 

I've looked around online and no one seems to have this exact problem, and any fixes I've found for similar issues don't seem to work. Here's what I've tried so far:  

-Windows System Restore (pretty sure it didn't actually do any restore)

-Complete removal and re-installation of the LAN, WiFi, video, and chipset drivers

-Updated and reset the CMOS (both by loading default settings and pulling the coin-cell battery)

-Ran System File Checker (found and replaced corrupt system files)

-Checked for viruses and rootkits using Hitman Pro, ComboFix, Malwarebytes, and TDSS Killer (nothing found)

-Reset all power options to default settings

-Ran Tweaking.com's Widows All-in-One repair utility 

-Created another user account, still just restarts 

I'm sure there are a few little things I forgot to mention, but I'm completely out of ideas at this point. I really don't want to wipe and reload this for such a silly issue, plus the customer will throw a fit. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users