Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 laptop freezing randomly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Confused365

Confused365

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

I have a Sony Viao laptop running Windows 7 x64 that has started freezing randomly.  The computer will completely lock up, cursor frozen, ctrl+alt+delete not working...  I have to do a hard shutdown.  When I reboot it seems fine for a while.  The only pattern that I notice is the freezes seem to happen when the computer is idle.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Oh, and I just tried to back up my files and as soon as I left it alone after starting the backup it froze again :(  I have Norton 365 running in the background and it seems happy.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

How old is the laptop?  Do you have a light to show when you have CAPS lock turned on for your keyboard?  If so, try hitting that key to see if it lights up.  If it does, the system isn't locked up but just heavily processing on something.  Let us know on that.

Some thing you can check:

1. Check the vents for dust build up and used some compressed air to clear to make sure you are not fighting an overheat issue.
  2. Try loading with F8 into Safe Mode and see if you can do your back up there first and foremost just in case the lock ups are due to a hard drive issue

Report back when you can.

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

It could be a number of different things. The easiest to check is your video card drivers.

If you dont mind please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link for the snapshot.

This will give us a good summary about your computer and help resolve your issue.

Edited by chrisd87, 13 September 2013 - 10:21 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 DavidBetournay

DavidBetournay

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

It could be any number of things. However, my first steps would be to ensure that it is not overheating and then check the Smart log on the hard disk to see if the disk is failing. Check underneath and on the rear/sides to make sure the cooling vents and fan/heatsink are not very dusty. Use compressed air to dust if they are - ensure that you do not accelerate the fan via compressed air to a high speed or you may damage the bearing - use a cut strip of paper lodged into the fan blades if needed.

For SMART info on your hard drive check out the following link. One major attribute of smart that is of interest to you is "Current Pending Sector" and "Realocated Sector Count". Hard drive failures are very common in laptops. With laptops the general rule is: Don't ever put them on your lap, or a bed, or any soft/uneven surface that will block airflow to the underside; and, if you move them when they are turned on be VERY gentle - since the head of the hard disk is less than a "hair" above the disk surface and the last thing you want is a "touchdown". Hard drives aren't football.

-David Betournay

Edited by DavidBetournay, 13 September 2013 - 02:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users