Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Time Setting of Archive Bit of All Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dcampbe1

dcampbe1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I performed a complete data backup of four primary folders on 9-5-2013 and perform nightly differentials based on the status of the archive bit.  I cleared the archive bit on all the appropriate files at the time of the full backup, so I was surprised to see them reset.  I finally traced it down to a reboot scheduled also nightly as the culprit.  

As long as I don't boot, the bits behave predictably.  For the time being I have disabled the nightly reboot.  In the meantime, I've rebooted without any start up folder programs to no avail.  I wanted to boot into safe mode but that is virtually impossible to do with Windows 8.  Complicating the issue is the fact that this is being done via remote connection for my brother who lives in Spain and is not completely computer literate.  The convoluted method of getting to safe mode and having to "guess" what he's really seeing make debugging of this issue almost impossible.

Because of the general nature of the problem, and possibly because I am the only person with such a problem, I have not had any luck researching a cause or solution.  Perhaps some kind sole has an idea or two for a solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dcampbe1

dcampbe1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

I have been working on this effort for the past week and have eliminated any start up programs being the cause of the problem.  The issue isn't resolve by booting to safe mode either.

First of all when a reboot ALL of the archive bits in the folder D:\MyDocuments get set.  No other folders or drives are affected.  I moved the folder to the E: (external) drive, cleared all archive bits and rebooted without any bits getting set.

Strangely, when I then swapped drive letters using the disk manager and retested, all of the archive bits were set on the newly named D:\MyDocuments.  The problem is following the path regardless of the physical location.

What could possibly cause Windows to set all archive bits on just the D:\MyDocuments folder and nothing else? As an option, I've though about basing my backups only on a certain date or later but it wouldn't catch any files with an older date that were 'copied' from another source.  I dislike the idea of an alternate approach simply because I can't solve this mystery.

I've depended on a home brew backup approach using full, incremental and differential backups based on the archive bit for many years on various platforms without any problems. Perhaps it is a Windows 8 related problem.

Is there any way I can trace the boot process to determine where and how these bits are getting set?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users