Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want one folder that contains all my data for easier backup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

My o/s is XP Home 32 Bit, SP2, version 2002

I burn my data onto dvds with Nero 7 for backup.  Instead of selecting each document and folder that I want to copy with Nero every time I backup my data, I would like to have a single folder that contains all the files and folders that I backup so I can simply select that one folder to burn.  I've tried copy/pasting folders into a single folder, but when I make changes to a document in one of the original folders the change does not happen in the same folder that I have copied over to the single folder.  Thanks for any replies.     

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

Move the folders to the desired location...and the changes will take effect.  As long as the files remain in their original location...the changes go to tthose file locations.

If there are no duplicates and I'm misunderstanding...please list any/all error messages and other pertinent details that more fully explain what is going on.

A partition would be a better structure than a folder, IMO.  Just create a new partition on your hard drive and move the folders there...that's the way that I would go.

Windows might work better if you updated to SP3 and all subsequent critical updates (there are more than 100), your vulnerability to malware would be reduced.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 September 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

I think I see what you are saying. You have a folder 'Active' and a folder 'Back-up' and you are working on a file 'Document 123' in the active folder, and when you save it, the changes are not saved in the copy in the back-up folder. This is the nature of the beast, and the only way round it that I know of, once you have saved your changes on the copy you are working on, is to then use 'Save as' to overwrite the copy in the back-up folder. In other words, every time you finish working on a file in your active folder you need to remember to 'Save as' into the back-up folder.

The solution that I use is to keep almost my work in a folder called - with startling originality - 'Workfile Chris' and I back it up to another hard drive once a week ( when I remember ). This merely involves deleting the earlier backup copy and dragging the current copy across. As Luis points out, it is easier doing this across either two drives or two partitions because the original is not affected. The advantage of having more than one drive of course is that they are very unlikely to die on me simultaneously.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Ok, I wanted to buy an external drive as extra security anyway, so I will just copy onto it.  Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users