Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking / firewall problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stevem76

stevem76

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hi all,

I have been following the instructions from another thread (http://www.bleepingc...alware-removal/) but realised I am alittle out of my depth - so am hoping for a little help!

After recently buying some network storage and having trouble mapping the shares from my desktop PC whilst everything was working fine from my laptop, I eventually realised I was having issues with networking, firewall and other associated services on my Win7 desktop (it doesn't find the new NAS or the laptop). I realise now this is probably due to malware removal a long, long time ago and I may even have gotten rid of a perfectly serviceable Buffalo TeraStation that I couldn't get working due to what was probably this issue! I'm not particularly IT minded but after looking into a number of things I hit upon the thread above and have been following the instructions as far as the similarities allow.

I have restored the mpssvc and wscsvc services and have copied some registry keys for the Firewall parameters (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\) from my laptop but haven't resolved my problem yet. The computer is looking clean, malware wise. I have posted my current FSS report below and any assistance would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 05-09-2013
Ran by Steve (administrator) on 12-09-2013 at 20:06:11
Running from "C:\Users\Steve\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional  Service Pack 1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============
MpsSvc Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of MpsSvc service is OK.
The ImagePath of MpsSvc service is OK.
The ServiceDll of MpsSvc service is OK.

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Disabled Policy:
========================

Action Center:
============

Windows Update:
============
wuauserv Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of wuauserv service is set to Disabled. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of wuauserv service is OK.
The ServiceDll of wuauserv service is OK.

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy:
============================

Windows Defender:
==============
WinDefend Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of WinDefend service is set to Disabled. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of WinDefend service is OK.
The ServiceDll of WinDefend service is OK.

Windows Defender Disabled Policy:
==========================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=DWORD:1

Other Services:
==============
Checking Start type of SharedAccess: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to retrieve start type of SharedAccess. The value does not exist.
Checking ImagePath of SharedAccess: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to retrieve ImagePath of SharedAccess. The value does not exist.
Checking ServiceDll of SharedAccess: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to retrieve ServiceDll of SharedAccess. The value does not exist.
Checking FirewallRules of SharedAccess: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to open "SharedAccess\Defaults\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" registry key. The key does not exist.

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\dhcpcore.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tdx.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit

**** End of log ****

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

What is the brand and model of the NAS?

Can the desktop "see" the NAS at all and just has trouble mapping the drive? Or are you not "seeing" the NAS at all?

#3 stevem76

stevem76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

Thanks smax013,

It's a Zyxel NSA-320 with 2x WD RED 3TB drives. In the Network folder, the NAS shows up as a Media Device but this doesn't allow me to browse the shares. Using the Zyxel software on the desktop, the NAS shows as being on the network but the option to map the shares doesn't work (results in a netowrk path not found 53 error code). Trying to map the shares directly by right-clicking on the Network folder in Explorer and manually typing the address results in a 0x80070035 error code.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

So, the Zyxel software for managing/configuring the NAS does detect the drive...and allow you to configure it?

#5 stevem76

stevem76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

Yes, there is a configuration screen.

Update:

In the Network folder in Windows Explorer, the NAS is not visible as a Computer but it does show up as a Media Device; double clicking takes me to the Twonky browser page for the device. I've not used this service before but it appears to be working and to let me browse the shares, including a test file I've just updated. Right-clicking the Network folder to try to map the network drive, I get a "network path not found", error code 0x80070035. Yet I know the device is there... My laptop is also not accessible from the Network folder - it does show up as a Computer but is inaccessible ("specified network provider name is invalid").

Using the Zyxel software, the NAS seeker can find the device on the network and I can access the configuration screen. From here, there is an option to network the drive but results in a "network path not found", error code 53. However, clicking the Media Server icon opens the NAS in a browser window and from here I cam see the shares, including the test file.

The NAS and laptop are obviously working, so I'm not sure whY I can't simply access them via Windows Explorer. In the Network and Sharing Centre, network discovery and file sharing are on in the advanced sharing settings. However, I can't see the full map of the network, "an error happened during the mapping process".

This may be something silly that I have not set up righ - in fact I'm betting it is - but I am stumped! All help appreciated!

Edited by stevem76, 13 September 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

What version of Windows is the laptop running?

Have you made sure the NAS, the laptop, and the desktop are all using the same Windows Workgroup?

#7 stevem76

stevem76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

The laptop is Win 7 Home Premium; the desktop in & Professional.

All three are all on the same Workgroup I think - it's just entitled WORKGROUP, presumably the default name.

#8 stevem76

stevem76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:02 AM

RESOLVED - I didn't have Client for Microsoft Networks installed on the adapter.

Thanks for the help.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

RESOLVED - I didn't have Client for Microsoft Networks installed on the adapter.

Thanks for the help.

That would certainly do it.

Glad you figured it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users