Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

resizing a partition?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

Someone asked me to put Windows back on their laptop and they're currently using Ubuntu.  I think they were okay with the idea of having to put Ubuntu back on later if I had to remove it to put Windows back on... but, I'm thinking I can put windows on it without removing anything.  I imagine there's at least a few images and such, he would enjoy if his ubuntu stayed just as it is... 
Anyway...  I have parted magic running at the moment and I see I have the ability to simply shrink the partition ubuntu is presently on.  Ubuntu is currently using 8gb out of more than 200 that partition is allocated.  I was thinking of shrinking that partition down to about 60gb and having roughly 175gb dedicated to windows.
If I use parted magic to simply shrink that partition, what are the chances of data loss?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

That is a good question. You can't defragment Linux...supposedly not necessary....so, I'm not sure how you would

know for certain that some file isn't hanging out there all by its lonesome in that vast free space.

But you can do what you asked about as far as installing Windows after Ubuntu. Here is one link on how to do that.

dual boot - How can I install Windows 7 after I've installed Ubuntu? - Ask Ubuntu

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

would it be easier to just format everything and install windows first and Ubuntu second?  I might as well check and see if there's anything important to save before I do anything at all.

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

Okay well, the ubuntu on it was fairly fresh and there was nothing to backup... so, I just deleted all the partitions and started over...  but, not I'm having a little trouble with that. 
I'm reading through the dual boot directions on the Ubuntu help pages.  It had another link to directions for partitioning.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PartitioningSchemes

In those directions...

• one primary partition for each Windows OS
  • an extra small primary partition (which can be resized later, in case it is needed). If there is a Windows recovery partition already installed, leave it alone (as the second partition).
  • one primary partition for the small boot partition (for storing a set of GRUB bootloader files)
  • an extended partition for the Linux (or Mac) OSs (must be the last partition on the hard drive)

Here is an example partitioning scheme:

• the Windows partition 20 - 30 Gb -- filesystem type NTFS (or can even be FAT32) and with the boot flag checked
  • an "extra" partition 2 Gb -- can be formatted as ext3, ext4, or FAT32. If this already exists as a Windows recovery partition, leave it unchanged.
  • a GRUB boot partition 100 Mb -- formatted to filesystem type ext3

The highlighted part is where I'm getting stuck a bit.  I created the primary partition where Windows will go...
Next, I tried to create another primary partition(what's what the directions say) for the GRUB files.  I tried 100 MB and I tried 200MB just for the heck of it.  Set it at ext3 as per the directions...  it keeps failing.  Under the details, which are not very detailed,

green checks next to "calibrate /dev/sda2 "  and next to "set partition type on /dev/sda2
But then at "create new ext3 file system, it has failed.  I don't see anything there that explains why.  :/
Did I do something wrong?

Edit: The cpu usage was around 97% before, during, and after all that attempting so... I shut it all down and let it rest a while.  Turned it on and tried creating that GRUB partition and it worked.  Go figure.
On we go with the rest...  ha

Edited by millipede, 12 September 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:56 AM

A Windows install disk will by default reformat the entire disk before installing Windows. Once you have Windows installed

you can choose to shrink the space Windows can use using Windows Disk Management tool or use the Ubuntu Disk to shrink the space that Windows can use.

The Ubuntu install Disk will also set up the small grub partition.

Looks like I am a bit late with that info as I didn't see your last posts until now.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

That's okay.  I've been following the directions from those pages so far.  I managed to get all those partitions setup just the way it said to.  I have Windows installed, finishing up on updates, AV, and other tweaks...  Got the version of Ubuntu they want burned to a disc already, checked and ready to go.  Hopefully that installation will go smoothly.  :)

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

It does seem creating those partitions was a waste of time.  When I installed ubuntu the way I was pretty sure I was supposed to, it allowed me to choose a partition one time and installed the swap and grub all on its own.  Oh well.  It's all on there and seems to be working fairly well.  I've messed around in both and both are up to date.

I do have a problem with the Ubuntu installation though.  After it was installed, a text window popped up talking about updates.  I went through that whole process and everything seemed to go well until it went to restart.  It froze.  I waited a LONG time before I finally just hit the power button and then restarted it.  Everything appeared to still be working, and still does more or less. 
Except for an error message I keep getting... I'll go search it myself in a few minutes but I figured I might post about it here.
On a few occasions, while opening certain programs(just opened firefox) this error pops up saying ubuntu has experienced an internal error.  Clicking to get more details it says something like

ExecutablePath
    /usr/lib/unity-scope-shotwell/unity-scope-shotwell
Package

unity-scope-shotwell 0.1-0~17~precise1[origin:LP=PPA=scopes-packagers]

ProblemType

Crash

Title

unity-scope-shotwell crashed with IOError in copyfile():[Errno 2] No such file or directory:'/home/username/.shotwell/data/photo.db'

There are more details below that but they don't seem as important.  I can post them if I need to.
Any thoughts?

Edit:  There are not a ton of exact matches for the searches I'm doing.  I did find one that is quite specific to the problem I'm having.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2038720

It is Ubuntu Christian Edition (UCE).  That topic was from August 2012.  Someone said they were making a patch for it but, I saw no mention of where or anything.
You can see the person does give a step that should resolve the error, or make it go away or something but, I'm not sure I follow it.

Edited by millipede, 16 September 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

Try uninstalling Shotwell....That's a photo manager and you probably don't have any photos stored there as it is a new install.

If the uninstall goes well, I would reboot and attempt to install Shotwell if you think you have a use for it.

When doing updates and it requires a reboot, be sure to allow more time for the update to install. Those that require

rebooting are system files and you do not want to screw that up.

Edited by buddy215, 16 September 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#9 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

what does the "addon" do? the shotwell engine?  I have a feeling that is what was causing the problems to begin with but after I uninstalled, restarted, and then reinstalled... still no error messages when I open firefox... but, I didn't click the check box for that addon.
Either way, I guess as long as there's no errors right now I wont worry about it.  :)

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

I use it to download pics from my cameras and organize in its album. It is capable of much more...easy to use. It is the default

photo organizer in Ubuntu. I don't think it includes a Firefox add-on or is even an option. You sure about that?

For more info on Shotwell...Shotwell | Yorba

#11 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm not sure what the "addon" is for.  When looking in the Ubuntu Software Centre and "more info" on shotwell, there's a tiny bit of info and a picture... then further down there's a line across and right below that it says "Add-ons" in big letters and below that there's a checkbox(was checked in first install, didn't check it second time) that says "shotwell engine(unity-scope-shotwell)"

At the moment I'm not too worried about it.  Everything is working without errors so far and that's good enough for me.  :)

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

Those are add-ons in the program. You can see some by opening Shotwell >Edit >Preferences > Click on Tabs to view plugins, etc.

Just a suggestion...to avoid.....like next month when 13.10 becomes available....not accidentally installing it you can make sure you don't

by opening the Ubuntu Software Center and under Edit > Software Sources > Updates you will find a Notify me of a new Ubuntu version option, from the drop box select Never.

Many users, including myself :crazy: , have made the mistake of not reading what updates are being installed and unintentionally accept the installation

of a just released Ubuntu version.

DMOfM.png

Edited by buddy215, 17 September 2013 - 08:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users