Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

old win7 hard drive emails to new drive help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rob5150

rob5150

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

hi i had a problem with Bootcat.cache you all tried to help thanks

my system woudnt boot

i have bought a new hard drive and installed win 7 on it

all is great i have connected my old hard drive

can someone help me transfer my old emails  settings and contacts

i can get into the old drive and view the old operating system files

but dont know how to take them from the old drive to the new

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Programs will not be able to be transferred over unless you retained the original install file (for the small ones) or software disks (for all).

If your old system was running on windows 7, you can follow these instructions:

Click the start/windows button in the lower left corner

click computer

double click on the drive that was your old hard drive (NOT C:)

double click the folder that says users

double click the folder that has your login information/name (there should not be many and yours would be easily found)

Create a file on your desktop, I prefer to name it Recovery but that is not important.

From the explorer window (showing your old hard drive) you can drag items you want into that recovery folder. For example, as long as you saved your pictures in the "My Pictures" folder, dragging that over will copy all of your pictures to the recovery file.  Same thing with documents, videos, desktop (which will include any shortcuts you had saved on your desktop), Favorites (for internet explorer).  A lot of the folders in there may contain information that will not apply on your new hard drive as your system already recreated them.

However, for your email I need to know what program you are using as each may save them in different ways.

NOTE: I do not recommend copying files directly to your account on the new computer as this can cause instability. Sort the files you copied and move them where you want them. Additionally, if you have the habit of saving things in random locations you will need to look for those lacations to recover your files, and I cannot predict how/where those would be saved.

Edited by wing987, 12 September 2013 - 05:28 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#3 rob5150

rob5150
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

thanks

i think it was windows live mail i had installed

#4 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

with windows live mail you should be able to just log on to your existing account and have your emails, as they would not be stored on your computer in most cases.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#5 rob5150

rob5150
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:23 AM

its not live mail sorry its just mail essentials

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users