Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Publisher 2007 missing after last Windows update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crisleem

crisleem

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

I work at a church and with some that aren't very computer literate. I received a call that no publisher files will open and it is telling them they don't have the program to open it. Everything was fine last night before the recent windows update installed. She said it does asks her if she wants to purchase Office 2010 Pro.  And no we don't. We'd purchase 2013 if we were going to buy now. 

The computer is new as of May. I installed office 2003 (because we can't find the 2007 disk) and publisher 2007 (found that disk) on a Windows 7 computer. I can't remember if it is pro but I think it is. I believe it's a 64 bit, again not positive.

I will go in and reinstall. But was hoping if someone has faced this issue before they had advice they could post. I only work part time and I am not the computer person at the church...I have a job and need to do it today, not fiddle with someone's computer.  

The more folks can give me before I get there the faster things may be for me.  

Thanks so much.  Personally I've not ever seen anything like this. It would be so odd for a program to simply disappear.  And I've never seen it ask to buy before either.  And I may not be getting 100% of the information at this time.

CM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I work at a church and with some that aren't very computer literate. I received a call that no publisher files will open and it is telling them they don't have the program to open it. Everything was fine last night before the recent windows update installed. She said it does asks her if she wants to purchase Office 2010 Pro.  And no we don't. We'd purchase 2013 if we were going to buy now. 

The computer is new as of May. I installed office 2003 (because we can't find the 2007 disk) and publisher 2007 (found that disk) on a Windows 7 computer. I can't remember if it is pro but I think it is. I believe it's a 64 bit, again not positive.

I will go in and reinstall. But was hoping if someone has faced this issue before they had advice they could post. I only work part time and I am not the computer person at the church...I have a job and need to do it today, not fiddle with someone's computer.  

The more folks can give me before I get there the faster things may be for me.  

Thanks so much.  Personally I've not ever seen anything like this. It would be so odd for a program to simply disappear.  And I've never seen it ask to buy before either.  And I may not be getting 100% of the information at this time.

CM

Did you get any solid indication whether Publisher fully "disappeared" from the computer (i.e. it is not listed under the Start Menu, etc)? Or if it was just a matter of Publisher not opening up when they double-clicked one of the Publisher files? You might ask them if they can start Publisher from the Start Menu.

You might also ask if they have tried right-clicking the file and using the "Open with..." command to see if they can get Publisher to open it. If the update somehow messed up the file associations, then this might work.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

The above ideas look good.

If unsuccessful, See if System Restore works for you

If it does, review the Windows Updates to see what should/shouldn't be installed

#4 crisleem

crisleem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

It was not actually missing.  I ended up going in and changing folder options for all publisher files back to 'open with publisher' it was changed to Office.  This happened after windows update....so best I can figure that's where the change happened.  Odd though. MS doesn't usually do things that sneaky to sell office products.  But luckily it wasn't that big after all.  They just panicked. Thanks for the super fast replies!

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

It was not actually missing.  I ended up going in and changing folder options for all publisher files back to 'open with publisher' it was changed to Office.  This happened after windows update....so best I can figure that's where the change happened.  Odd though. MS doesn't usually do things that sneaky to sell office products.  But luckily it wasn't that big after all.  They just panicked. Thanks for the super fast replies!

I kind of figured that might be the case.

And I suspect it was an unintended bug/side effect of the update. While Microsoft is not always as "pure as the driven snow", I don't tend to suspect them be too sneaky about things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users