Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop refuses external monitor

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chikokishi

Chikokishi

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Solved: scroll to bottom for outrageous solution.
Scroll to bottom for recap

I have a HP Dv6 6153cl.  I just reinstalled windows on it and then i went to the hp website andupdated my relevent drivers (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5118745).  During my AMD driver update the computer recognized the external 1080 Asus monitor that i own.  However, after a sleep, hibernate, restart, etc, the computer will make the disconnecting "badonk" sound when i turn it on - disconnecting the monitor.  I cant "detect monitor" manually or automatically.  Unplugging and replugging in the monitor gets no response from my laptop, either.  If i go though the driver reinstall process it will once again register the monitor and work untill i turn the computer off again. 

How do i fix?

Chiko

Edited by Chikokishi, 12 September 2013 - 05:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hmm, when you turn the computer off unplug the monitor. When you turn the computer back on and it boots all the way into Windows, plug the monitor back in and see what happens. Make sure you go to "device manager" and see if there are any missing or corrupt drivers since you just reinstalled Windows.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#3 Chikokishi

Chikokishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Device manager shows no errors.  After a reboot i plugged the monitor in and my computer did not respond.  My monitor turned on, flashed "No signal" and shut off.  When i wrote my first post i was using the monitor because i had just installed the drivers again, now i am using my laptops screen.

Chiko

#4 Chikokishi

Chikokishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

one possible issue is that when i tried to update my Intel graphics drivers, they said "You computer does not meet the minimum requirements"  and that was using the update available in the link i originally posted.  Looking in my computer setup i can see that my current graphics driver is the Intel chip, not my Radeon.  So perhaps my computer is defaulting to the intel chip for display, and only when i manuall activate the radeon card does it kick on - allowing the computer to register the monitor.  my control centre says that the radeon is my active gpu right now, but my support assistant says that the intel is active for current display.  I will search for another way to update my intel card for now... but i believe the hdmi port comes from the radeon.

Chiko

#5 Chikokishi

Chikokishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

Also, for the record, i have used this monitor with this computer for over a year now, so i know it works well.

#6 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Since a dedicated video card is in that laptop, you definately need the correct ATI/AMD drivers for the display. Also, downloading the CCC package with the drivers would probably help too. Here is a link http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

Sincerely, Blake.

#7 Chikokishi

Chikokishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

according to that website my laptops mobile radeon card is not compatable with mobile radeon drivers... =/

#8 Chikokishi

Chikokishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

My gpu is a HD Radeon 6770M, if that helps any

#9 Chikokishi

Chikokishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

Recap for someone just reading:

I have HP Dv6 6153CL Laptop

My graphics cards are an intel low power card, and a Radeon HD 6770M.

I have an Asus 1080P external monitor.

-------------------------------------------------
I just reinstalled Windows 7.

I updated my drivers using this website: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5118745

The Intel video driver update informs me that my "Computer does not meet the minimum requirements."
When i install the AMD Radeon driver update my external monitor turns on and works perfectly.

-If i restart my computer, unplug and replug the monitor, sleep, hibernate, etc. the computer will manually disconnect my monitor (With the "badonk" sound as if i unplugged it)

After this, if I reinstall the AMD drivers again my monitor will once again turn on
-it remembers my settings of "Only display on 2" and "Make this my primary monitor" and it remembers the 1080P resolution setting.

-Once again, if i restart my computer it will forget the monitor completely by making the "badonk" sound as windows turns on.  And once again, i can not detect the monitor, and replugging it in does not register the monitor.

Which leads me back to reinstalling the drivers in order to make the monitor register.

So, it is not a graphics card problem. It is not a monitor problem. It is not an HDMI cable problem.  My computer simply turns the monitor off by force.

Chiko

Edited by Chikokishi, 12 September 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#10 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

What? If you have a 6770M that link should absolutely be correct... When you go to the ati wesbite and select "find driver", i choose notebook graphics, radeon hd series, hd 6xxxm series, 7 home premium 64 bit. Only reason why it would not be compatible is if you have a different OS or if that is not your card.

Sincerely, Blake.

#11 Chikokishi

Chikokishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

oh i know it is correct.  thats why this is driving me insane. 

My graphics cards:
http://postimg.org/image/axhyvdrsx/

Device manager:
http://postimg.org/image/3yf97wlaf/

the "unknown device" is my TrackIR head tracking device.

Error i get when using the Radeon driver update util:
http://postimg.org/image/8kj6fw7pj/

Edited by Chikokishi, 12 September 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#12 Chikokishi

Chikokishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

This is my install report for my radeon driver:

Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
09/12/13 15:04:56
  Hardware information   Name ATI Radeon Graphics Processor Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc Device ID 0x6740 Vendor ID 0x1002 Class Code 0x030000 Revision ID 0x00 Subsystem ID 0x1657 Subsystem vendor ID 0x103c Other hardware Existing packages PX Profile Update AMD Catalyst Install Manager AMD APP SDK Runtime AMD Display Driver Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Catalyst Control Center Packages for install
AMD Catalyst Install Manager Final Status: Success Version of Item: 3.0.838.0 Size: 20 Mbytes AMD Display Driver Final Status: Success Version of Item: 8.882.2.3000 Size: 90 Mbytes Intel Media Components Final Status: Success Version of Item: 8.15.10.2476 Size: 60 Mbytes
Other detected devices
Error messages

And now that i have installed it (again) i am using my external monitor in 1080P resolution.

#13 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

I cant figure out why you would have to reinstall it every time. Best thing I can say is to next time uninstall the driver + CCC and download it again instead of installing over the old one. I dont see a reason for it to not work.

Sincerely, Blake.

#14 Chikokishi

Chikokishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

AMD tech support suggested that the problem may have been that i installed my computer updates out of order.  I.E i did not go chipset - win update - drivers.  Which may be the issue.

so im seeting if i cant uninstall and reinstall all of that in order, if not its a fresh install and another 8 hours of downloading my software. :)

#15 Chikokishi

Chikokishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

I solved it!

Quick recap: 

Monitor only turns on when reinstalling the HD software.

Monitor will not turn on after a computer restart, if the computer goes to sleep, or if the computer hibernates.

Monitor will not register when unplugged and replugged in.

Once again: Monitor WILL work when the software is installed - The software installation actually turned the monitor on.

Solution:
I unplugged the cable from the back of the monitor and replugged it in.  Now the monitor when unplugged works when plugged back in.  When the computer restarts it comes on with the computer.

Diagnosis of the problem?
One would think "Well it was obviously a faulty cord."  Except that when i did the software reinstall it worked EVERY TIME.  Note that i am not physically touching my monitor, or my laptop - i am using an external keyboard and mouse. So this rules out a faulty cable, not to mention that once i get it turned on it continues to work fine while moving and everything - it did not short out.

So is it faulty software?  I dont think so, because what "fixed" it was me physically touching the port on the back of the monitor.

.... I have no idea what was wrong.

Thanks for the help,

Chiko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users