Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help W/ Building An Amd Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AnaMayShun

AnaMayShun

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

I have never built a computer before. I own a Gateway Desktop and a Dell Laptop. I want to upgrade my desktop. But I want to try and build one. And I want to make sure it'll last for a long time. So i'm looking for some help in doing so.

I'm looking at:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ For $460.00

XFX Geforce 7600GT For $172.99

ABIT AN8 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard For $108.99

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR For $188.00

Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Case For $108.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB For $130.00

Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum Sound Card For $159.99

LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner For $45.99

Logitech Internet Pro Desktop Black Wired Keyboard For $17.99

I'm probably not going to get that high of products, because the total is at $1392.94. My price range is between $1000 and $1500. And I know I need a monitor. So I'm going to have to downgrade on some items without losing to much quality. What else i'm going to need? Maybe a plain CD Rom/CD-R?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mofficer

Mofficer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:04 PM

This is pretty high end you could go for a slightly slower one and save yourself some money. Theres no point in buying the newest stuff if its overpiced.

This is a really good video card if your planning on doing any sort of gaming or large scale graphics. If you arn't scale it down a bit.

Good Motherboard, the ASUS boards are my prefered choice.

2 Gigs will scream, and your mobo supports another 2gb when 2 gets outdated (not for awhile)

This looks fine, a little 'nice' but thats just me.

If you want to save some money here wait a little bit till you see deals on lower sized HDDs and buy two.

Theres no need to get a sound card, your mobo has a built in one that will do just fine, unless your a DJ

I've got one of these and its perfect.

This is fine.

You're not going to need another CD rom, when burning cds or dvds you can just hotswap. You are going to need a monitor, speakers/headphones and a copy of Windows XP pro SP2 if you don't have one already.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

I agree with Mofficer except for Win XP Pro. I have found Pro offers no advantages over Home that an individual can use.

#4 AnaMayShun

AnaMayShun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

This is pretty high end you could go for a slightly slower one and save yourself some money. Theres no point in buying the newest stuff if its overpiced.

This is a really good video card if your planning on doing any sort of gaming or large scale graphics. If you arn't scale it down a bit.

Good Motherboard, the ASUS boards are my prefered choice.

2 Gigs will scream, and your mobo supports another 2gb when 2 gets outdated (not for awhile)

This looks fine, a little 'nice' but thats just me.

If you want to save some money here wait a little bit till you see deals on lower sized HDDs and buy two.

Theres no need to get a sound card, your mobo has a built in one that will do just fine, unless your a DJ

I've got one of these and its perfect.

This is fine.

You're not going to need another CD rom, when burning cds or dvds you can just hotswap. You are going to need a monitor, speakers/headphones and a copy of Windows XP pro SP2 if you don't have one already.

Thanks. I'll go and make some changes to my choices. I talked to one of my friends and he suggest i go for the AMD 64 or something like that. So depending on the price, i may look at that.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:09 PM

HI AnaMayShun, I just didn't see a Power supply, it may be the most important piece for all to run well.
Just a suggestion for you

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817153031
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users