Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird accounts?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

A couple months ago our internet got turned off.  Two of the email addresses I was using through our ISP are no longer valid.
When we got our internet turned back on recently, those email addresses  were still no longer valid but Thunderbird continued to try and connect.  After a couple days I got tired of that and went into accounts and removed those two accounts.
Unfortunately, somewhere around 200 emails just disappeared instantly when I did that.  Also, I have since closed and reopened Thunderbird, not sure if that makes matters worse.

I'm just wondering now if there's ANY way to get any of those email messages back? 

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 September 2013 - 01:29 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

millipede, on 12 Sept 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:
A couple months ago our internet got turned off. Two of the email addresses I was using through our ISP are no longer valid.
When we got our internet turned back on recently, those email addresses were still no longer valid but Thunderbird continued to try and connect. After a couple days I got tired of that and went into accounts and removed those two accounts.
Unfortunately, somewhere around 200 emails just disappeared instantly when I did that. Also, I have since closed and reopened Thunderbird, not sure if that makes matters worse.

I'm just wondering now if there's ANY way to get any of those email messages back?

Do you have backup of the computer?

If not, then you might be outta luck.

You can look on the hard drive where Thunderbird stores the messages and see if you can find the folder that would contain the email messages for those accounts:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird

If the appropriate folder is not there, then your only option might be a data recovery program.

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for moving this to the correct place Orange Blossom...

and thanks smax.  Using that link, I found that folder.  In the profiles there are two pop account folders(I removed 2 accounts) from my ISP there.  They both have a file titled "inbox". 
I'm running some stuff on another computer right now and need to go out to the library as well so, I'll have to poke around some more later and figure out what to do with those files now.  I imagine the emails are stored in those files.
None of them are life or death, but some had information on them that would be handy to have.  :)

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for moving this to the correct place Orange Blossom...

and thanks smax.  Using that link, I found that folder.  In the profiles there are two pop account folders(I removed 2 accounts) from my ISP there.  They both have a file titled "inbox". 
I'm running some stuff on another computer right now and need to go out to the library as well so, I'll have to poke around some more later and figure out what to do with those files now.  I imagine the emails are stored in those files.
None of them are life or death, but some had information on them that would be handy to have.  :)

When you are ready to try it, you might try using the Import extension in Thunderbird:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders

I would make a backup copy of the folders/files you found before you try ANYTHING.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users