Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Acquired DeLL XP Guinea Pig

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

• Operating System:  XP32 SP3
  •  
  • Antivirus Software:  Full Blown MSE
  •  
  • Computer:  Dell Dimension 2350
  •  
  • CPU :        Celeron 1.7 ghz
  •  
  • Motherboard:       intel i 845GL
  •  
  • Ram:    256 mb ddr pc2100 133 mhz   1 slot used, 1 slot available
  •  
  • Storage: 40gb Maxtor PATA
  •  
  • Video Card:   Intel Xtreme 64mb onboard
  •  
  • Soundcard:  SOUNDMAX Integrated
  •  
  • Power Supply:  200w  OEM  (aftermarket transferrable)
  •  
  • Case:  oem mATX

I am using this PC as an experiment and reference for XP32 SP3 upgrade and MSE integration before i do the real upgrades to my regular PC.

What i noticed is that in task manager i am getting quite a few svchost ghosts. I am needing to clean out all the RAM hogging processes as MSE is using up quite a  bit of RAM by itself and what i have left over i will need for browsing before it goes over the 256mb and starts swapping, therefore getting considerable drag.

I used DeCrapifier with success to remove bloatware, but I am still getting quite a few (5-10) svchost processes.

I want to ask about going into the startup features to keep extraneous ghost apps from loading on boot and keeping these unnecessary svchost RAM guzzlers from ever initializing in the first place. I think a couple of the svchost processes are legit, for the rest, it is a crapshoot

Thanks everyone.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

It sounds like you've done a great job of eliminating bloatware

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 so I can relate to the specs you have on your PC

--- My hard drive is only 30 GB but my RAM is maxed out to 2 GB

--- The computer was given to me by someone who hated the computer for a number of reasons

--- Anyway after cleaning the computer out, I maxed out the RAM; his also had only 256 mb 

--- For better performance, more than 256 mb is needed

--- In the end, for about $30.00, my computer has been running as good as new in the 5 years I've had it

--- Your computer might be upgreadable to only 1 GB, but I think it would be a worthy investment

On the svchost processes I have 11 of them

On the Full Blown MSE, maybe it makes a difference I don't know. I use the free version and I don't see it using RAM the way you descibe yours

--- Maybe it's because it's running non-stop:

------ Is it updated?

------ Maybe it's configured to run a full scan all the time

------ Maybe it's scanning continuously for some questionable reason

------ Has it reported whether or not the computer is infected?

Try a second opinion anti-malware program such as Malwarebytes Free

#3 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

I agree with cmptrgy, definately upgrade the RAM. Id say you would be good with 1g, especially with xp.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#4 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

it is difficult to get that pc2100 anymore. I prefer to acuire RAM sticks from anywhere but the mail so returning it will be a breeze if it doesn't work. it is just an experimental machine to test out the xp32 sp3 integration that i am going to do on my regular PC. The MSE is throttled up as far as it can go while still being the gratis version. I just need enough RAM left over to browse  a few pages and play in the sandbox with speedfan. Is this a Registry concern? is there an app that will uncover the ghosts that these svhost processes are connected to? How do i dig into the startup/boot protocols to get the xp to load with the bare essentials?

MSE found nothing wrong and it is consuming quite a bit of memory by scanning traffic from my broadband connection,

My regular PC has 3gb RAM and usually idles at .5 -.7 gb mem usage.and i never thought twice about unnecessary processes until this 256 mb unit made me start questioning every little process that is showing up.

#5 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

go to start, under search type in msconfig. In the windows that comes up, there is a tab that says startup. That is mainly where you will find what programs will start at bootup.

Sincerely, Blake.

#6 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Thanks bory,

I was just reading the pinned XP topic "slow computer" and that subject showed up. another scary subject showed up also, regedit ...i will be signing on with the guinea pig XP machine  in a bit to check it out. I could have swore i saw the svchost topic get a full detailed analysis a month or so ago and I was browsing for it. i only browsed  the XP topics  through last July and couldn't quite get a position on it, and the search function wasn't thinning the grief.

#7 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

I wouldnt mess with regedit too much, thats where things can get realllly tricky if you are not used to it. Not saying that you cant or are incapable of, but just remember registry issues can be very delicate.

Sincerely, Blake.

#8 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

oh yes, regedit is something not to fool with unless a very descriptive procedure is in place, ok i am on my test machine now, and mem usage is at 290 mb

#9 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

ok, i got the unnecessary processes eliminated and uninstalled and disk defragged. my browser just by itself is consuming 120 mb and MSE is hogging 100mb  so i am right at the swap threshold of 250mb.. time to sign off the test machine for now. now that i have xp sp3 loaded on it and functional i can just run it on safe mode to see just what processes are in the OS foundation without the extras.   haven't done that before.

thanks again everyone.

#10 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

I found it,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchostexe-process/

A great rundown on those recurring svchost memory hogs.

now i am complacent to run on swap every so patiently because my 256mb RAM is filled to the brim..

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Very nice SCVHOST link especially since it comes from BC

--- You have checked out your computer pretty good

On the RAM, I believe the system cannot perform very well at 256 mb RAM as its struggling to perform efficiently

I have checked out many XP's over the years; some people swear their 256 mb of RAM is fine because they were told it should be. Generally speaking that can be true when the computer is new. Typically I like to see in the order of 50% of available physical memory. I don't know of any hard & fast rule to that thought but I have seen it mentioned more than once in computer servicing articles. At the same time when I have set an XP computer to have a computer with at least approximately 50% of available physical memory RAM, performance improvement was great. That doesn't mean that increased RAM is always the solution but that's another subject. Running in Safe Mode could help and that's a very good idea to try.

#12 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

256mb gets full real fast while browsing. I don't want to use the test machine  for anything other than as a test run for the xp32 sp3 upgrade and various AV and utility applications.. and it has all been a success story on the test machine, whereas the sp3 has been a disappointment on the real machine.  here is another BC hidden jewel  that i found extremely useful and may well be useful to other RAM-challenged members..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Yes I love referring to that startup list myself

On the real machine in which there seems to be issues with SP3. could you enlighten us on what's going on?

#14 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

I keep getting an error from the MS site saying something to the tune of needing sp2 first.

everything i am using to self-test my xp version is saying i already have running sp2 .

also, everytime i go to control panel to initialize automatic updates, it hangs for a few minutes before the automatic update dialog begins whereas the test machine automatic updates was instantaneously initializing upon launch. then i go to the microsoft site for an update from there and i am getting error 404 in a continuous loop of failure with no way out.

everything worked seamless on the Dell test machine.....with my regular machine it is nothing but seams and interruptions..

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

What are the specs on your regular machine?

Issues: On your regular machine, MSFT indicates you need SP2 first;

in the self testing you are doing you already have SP2,

using Control Panel to set up automatic updates hangs before the automatic update dialog begins,

going to the MSFT website results in an error 404 in a continuous loop.

------ Please verify whether or not this is a pretty good summary

On the regular machine, is this yours where you have history & knowledge of how it has been performing as long as you have had it?

What do you have for discs for this computer?

Do you have the system discs that would have come with it or are you capable of creating a factory restore disc?

It should also be a good idea to download the drivers onto CD for your make/model

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users