Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Me Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:05 AM

Our windows ME constantly freezes up and have to reboot to be able to do anything. I have AVG antivirus, have ran mulitiple spyware removal programs, switched browsers from Ie to Opera then to FireFox the problem still happenes at least twice a day mostly while online surfing or playing an online game, checking Email, most anything. I have downloaded patches, removed most every program that is not nessasery. Defrag poses a problem too only seem to be able to run it in safe mode and now cant seem to even be able to get it in safe mode to run a defrag, Ive done everything I possably know how to do to try to fix this machine so that it is useable and Im pulling my hair out over it. please help...

(Moderator edit: added problem description to topic. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 25 April 2006 - 11:10 AM.

Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:21 AM

I need you to go to Start>Run>msconfig>Startup(tab at the top). Either copy & paste, or just type into a reply everything listed in that catogory. We are going to stop unnesseccary programs from starting when you boot windows ME.

Edited by acklan, 25 April 2006 - 11:22 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:56 AM

- Task bar controls
- Delay Registry
- motivemoniter
- worksFUD
- DJRegFix
- HpLogiFinder
-wcmdmgr
- LoadQM
- BJCFM
- Navapp
- ICSDCLT
- SchedulingAgent
- *StateMgr
- KB891711
- SSDPSRV
- stillImageMoniter
- hpoddt01.exe
- hpinstant support

I have cleaned this out before but these are what you asked for
Posted Image

#4 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:57 PM

that was every box that was checked I didnt think you wanted a list of the ones that were not checked.
Posted Image

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

that was every box that was checked I didnt think you wanted a list of the ones that were not checked.

Actually, MSCONFIG was not designed as a tool to disable stuff on your computer permanently. It was designed to help diagnose problems. Leaving items unchecked can lead to instability of your system. However, that's not necessarily the reason you're having problems now. But Microsoft recommends that you do not use it for that.

When you're finished diagnosing your computer with MSCONFIG, you should re-enable everything; uninstall programs you no longer want, or remove them from MSCONFIG so that they do not start up. One way to do this is a registry edit, but the easier way is to use Spybot Search and Destroy - it has an Advanced mode and you can use that to remove items from MSCONFIG. However, you should make sure you know what you're doing. You wouldn't want to disable an antivirus, for example, or a necessary system service.

One thing you might do is to disable KB891711 temporarily and see if that helps. Although this patch cures a vulnerability, it has also caused problems with some machines. If it turns out that it helps stabilize your machine, you can re-enable it, then go to the control panel and Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it. If it makes no difference, leave it there, enabled.

Windows ME is a pathetically unstable system. I have a couple of computers with it, and the one I leave running a lot crashes just about every day. I restart it once a day, and it often won't even shut down because it's crashed again. It might be more stable if I re-installed it from scratch, but I've done that on another computer and it hasn't been much better. Since the operating system was not greeted with any enthusiasm, it has never been well-supported by Microsoft, probably because it's hopeless. Windows 98 can become unstable, too, but I think it was more stable than ME.

It is normal to be able to defrag and run Scandisk only in Safe Mode - in fact, that's a good way to do it. In Real Mode, there are too many background processes, which cause problems with those tools. Both Scandisk and Defrag will keep starting over.

#6 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:31 AM

How can microsoft sell so many thousands of machines that are so unstable they wont run more than a few days with out crashing? In my case a few hours, but still for gods sake I have very little on the internet as to how to fix this problem. You would think Microsofts solution to this would be to recall all thier malfunctioning machines and replace them with working ones. Its like selling a car with square wheels to thousands of people then fireing every mechanic that knws how to fix them. I will try that and hope it works.
Posted Image

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

You would think Microsofts solution to this would be to recall all thier malfunctioning machines and replace them with working ones.

Microsoft does not own the machines. But when ME came out, major manufacturers immediately began shipping computers with ME. And when Windows Vista comes out, they'll start shipping those. Believe it or not, there are some people running Win ME who think it's great. But within days of its release, I heard techies complaining that it was bogus.

I think MS just wishes ME would go away. It's a case of "Let the buyer beware!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users