Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time Machine problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kershawh

kershawh

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:35 AM

I am trying to back up my MacBook Pro (10.5.8) with the Time Machine facility onto an external hard drive.

When I turn on the computer the external HD icon is visible on the desktop and in finder. Also in the Time Machine box it tells me when the next backup will occur.

After a few minutes a warning box appears telling me that the device was not ejected properly and all the icons disappear.   In the Time Machine box where it says next update it states "when disk is connected". I cannot find my external HD icon anywhere until I turn off the computer and external HD and start all over again with the same warning appearing. It's driving me nuts.

Has anybody any ideas what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in anticipation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

Try erasing and formatting the external hard drive then, use TM after.

#3 kershawh

kershawh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

My external HDD does not show up in disc utility.

#4 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

Are you able to connect wirelessly to the hard disk?

If so, go to AirPort Utility.  Select the disk, erase and format it.

Then go to Time Machine through system preferences and begin the backup.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

I am trying to back up my MacBook Pro (10.5.8) with the Time Machine facility onto an external hard drive.

When I turn on the computer the external HD icon is visible on the desktop and in finder. Also in the Time Machine box it tells me when the next backup will occur.

After a few minutes a warning box appears telling me that the device was not ejected properly and all the icons disappear.   In the Time Machine box where it says next update it states "when disk is connected". I cannot find my external HD icon anywhere until I turn off the computer and external HD and start all over again with the same warning appearing. It's driving me nuts.

Has anybody any ideas what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in anticipation.

Assuming this is a USB drive, have you tried the drive will all the different USB ports on the MBP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users