Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with Mouse censor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pinky_leo

pinky_leo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

My Desktop was acting weird. First, there was some advertisement running in the background while no programs were running. I guessed it was an adware or malware. Someone helped me fix it. But after it was done, I restarted my computer but after "Starting windows" screen, it turned black completely with only mouse censor working. I tried to click something like ctrl alt del but it doesnt work either

I also tried to turn it on on safe mode but the same thing happened. I tried to restore my computer but it said that it cannot find any of my restore points. 

I was trying to do a system repair by image using USB (my desktop doesn't have a CD drive) but I don't know how to do it.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Obviously you have access to another computer, or your post wouldn't be here !  I can think of two things short of a complete rebuild that may help you.

1   If you have data on this computer that you would really like to keep, the first thing to do is to try and salvage it. Download a copy of Puppy Linux from here :

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

This is perfectly safe - I have used it myself - and it will run from a USB drive. It will boot your computer and then you will be able to see your hard drive(s) so that you can save valuable data - work, photos, music, etc. - to an external hard drive. The Puppy web-site is full of useful advice as well.

2   Then you need a Windows repair disc for your version of Windows - 32 or 64 bit - the instructions on how to make one are here on BC, along with advice on how to use one. Again you can run it from a USB.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/

Once you have salvaged any data you want to as in (1) above, turn the computer off. Connect the Windows repair USB and re-boot the computer. If it doesn't start to boot from the USB, shut the computer down and re-start it. This time go in to the BIOS (normally - not always - press the 'Delete' key while the BIOS screen is showing) and change the boot priority order so that USB is first. You can always change it back later.

Save the changes and exit the BIOS. The computer will re-boot itself and this time should boot from the USB stick. Follow the instructions on screen, and with any luck you should be back to having a working computer again.

IMPORTANT NOTE.  It is possible your computer is still infected, unhappily not all 'someones' are equally competent. If the above does not improve your condition towards a working computer, I suggest you post back here in the 'Am I infected ...' section of BC. These people are busy and may take a day or two to get back to you but they do know what they are talking about !  Follow their advice and ask if you don't understand something.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 pinky_leo

pinky_leo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:33 AM

Ok So I tried to download a version of system repair disc online and put it in a USB. I went into my BIOS to change the priority of boot system into the USB. There were 4 options of USB to choose from FDD, CD-ROM, ZIP, and I dont remember the last option. However, I tried each of them but nothing seems to work. the windows start up and went straight to "starting Windows" screen and "boom" black screen again. 

I know how to use linux so it is not a problem for me to save program and stuff 

Thanks!

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

I think you misremember !  FDD is almost certainly HDD which is your hard drive ( C:\ ); CD-ROM is your optical drive or CD / DVD drive; ZIP is a compressed drive; and the one you can't remember must be a USB type drive. I am surprised that your BIOS gives the CD / DVD option when you say there isn't one built into the computer. However.

Try the fourth option - the one you can't remember - in the BIOS again and see if it will boot from the windows repair USB. If it doesn't I think you are looking at doing a complete re-install. As you say, you have the ability to salvage your own data  first. Does your computer have a recovery partition, or do you have a set of recovery discs ?  Using either of these will set you back to an 'ex-works' condition, then all you have to do is re-install your applications, put your data back, and then do the ton or so of updates since your computer was built. But remember the point I made in my first post to you, you may still be infected.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 pinky_leo

pinky_leo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Hello,

It is not that I misremember. There are 4 different option for USB only. They listed

- Hard drive

- Optical disk 

- CD/ DVD

- USB - FDD

- USB - Zip

- USB - CD/ROM

- USB - HDD

There were 3 options on the BIOS system as well to boot up. Primary, secondary, and so on.

I tried 4 options of the USB ones and disabled the secondary and third boot device, but like I said, it went back to the hard-drive and black screen again.

I just purchased a new CD-ROM disc, and I have a laptop also but my operating system for laptop is Home Premium, and the operating system for my desktop is Ultimate. So if I create an system repair image from my laptop, would it work in my desktop?

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

I misunderstood !  However I would have thought that FDD is the most likely choice to match with a USB memory stick, from what you have just written.

Yes, Windows repair disc is just that. Just note that they come in two flavours - 32 and 64 bit. You need the correct one for the desktop, but you can create both on any computer.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users