Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get above 300 Kbit/sec. download speed on any VPN

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mech5501

mech5501

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

I've tried quite a few different VPNs, most of which claim to be nearly as fast as a regular broadband connection.  My problem is I can never get my download speeds above 300 Kbit/sec on any VPN I've tried.  I only use VPN clients that utilize OpenVPN, which I've read is the fastest and most secure.  Right now, my main VPN is Cyberghost, to which I have a paid subscription.  I've gone many rounds with the support guys over at Cyberghost, and we can't figure out the problem either.  Here are the system/connection specs and programs I always have running:

-Verizon Fios 15Mbit download-5Mbit/upload

-I use Wifi most of the time, as I'm using my laptop, which I know is slower than ethernet connection, but on Wifi without any VPN enabled, I achieve 1-1.5 Mbit/sec download speeds

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

-AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core processor 3800+ @ 2.00 Ghz

-2 GB RAM (for some reason the other RAM slot doesn't work so I can't add memory)

-Avast free antivirus

-Iobit Malware Fighter Pro

-Trend Micro Browser Guard

-Soft Perfect Wifi Guard

-Zemana Anti-Logger free

-Comodo Firewall

-Epson printer software

I've disabled every running program listed, one at a time, and tested my download speeds over VPN, and they never change, so I doubt they have anything to do with my issue.  Maybe it's a hardware thing?  Please help, as I'm stumped, and tired of feeling like I'm on dial-up anytime I want to download with my VPN enabled!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 antaji

antaji

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:19 AM

What is your actual location? Are you trying to connect to the nearest server to your location?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Do you have another computer to test with?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 steven

steven

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

I've been reading a lot about VPN's but I can't seem to locate any reliable info for my needs. 
Currently, I use a VZ aircard to access the internet because I have an unlimited account, but vz has told me when the aircard quits working I'll have to sign up for a different data plan, which according to friends and family will result in bigger bills.

Edited by steven, 28 September 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

.... I'm interested in what VPN is and isn't and if it would be an option for me to keep my data plan at a lower rate.
Kimkommando also says you can set up a vpn on a wifi signal, but I'd be quite worried about that.

Then you should start your own discussion topic.

#6 steven

steven

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

well, maybe I shall.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

:thumbup2:

#8 antaji

antaji

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:05 AM

I've tried quite a few different VPNs, most of which claim to be nearly as fast as a regular broadband connection.  My problem is I can never get my download speeds above 300 Kbit/sec on any VPN I've tried.  I only use VPN clients that utilize OpenVPN, which I've read is the fastest and most secure.  Right now, my main VPN is Cyberghost, to which I have a paid subscription.  I've gone many rounds with the support guys over at Cyberghost, and we can't figure out the problem either.  Here are the system/connection specs and programs I always have running:

-Verizon Fios 15Mbit download-5Mbit/upload

-I use Wifi most of the time, as I'm using my laptop, which I know is slower than ethernet connection, but on Wifi without any VPN enabled, I achieve 1-1.5 Mbit/sec download speeds

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

-AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core processor 3800+ @ 2.00 Ghz

-2 GB RAM (for some reason the other RAM slot doesn't work so I can't add memory)

-Avast free antivirus

-Iobit Malware Fighter Pro

-Trend Micro Browser Guard

-Soft Perfect Wifi Guard

-Zemana Anti-Logger free

-Comodo Firewall

-Epson printer software

I've disabled every running program listed, one at a time, and tested my download speeds over VPN, and they never change, so I doubt they have anything to do with my issue.  Maybe it's a hardware thing?  Please help, as I'm stumped, and tired of feeling like I'm on dial-up anytime I want to download with my VPN enabled!

Yesterday I was surfing the internet about VPN speeds and found that VPN for Torrents test VPN provider speeds. This may help you to choose a suitable VPN provider.

Edited by antaji, 14 October 2013 - 06:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users