Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White Background and Microsoft Error Message on Startup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 syn1023

syn1023

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

After entering my password and logging on, I see a completely white background instead of my desktop and icons, and this message: "Microsoft Mobile PC Adaptability Client has stopped working....A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." And the "Close program" button. I can access the Task Manager from here, however cannot do anything else. The problem seemed to come out of nowhere once after I restarted the computer (can't remember the reason I restarted it). Don't recall installing or downloading any new program software. It was working fine before the restart. I can get into safe mode without the error message. Have been using the pc (a Sony Vaio laptop) in safe mode with networking to do some of my internet things. Have tried the following: msconfig > under general tab selected "selective startup," then clicked to remove the check from "load startup items" > under services tab, selected "hide all microsoft services" and "disable all," then hit OK > restarted computer. After this, no change, still the error message and white screen in normal mode. Tried to do a system restore, but there wasn't a last restore point, just one item showed a date and time and under the description said "system: scheduled checkpoint."

Am I likely to have some kind of malware? How can I get back to using my pc in normal mode again?

Some specs of my PC.

Sony Vaio laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @ 2 GHz

2.0 GB RAM

32-bit operating system

Your help will be much appreciated!

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Try doing a System Restore in Safe Mode, choose a restore point prior to this issue.

Have you installed SP1 and SP2?

If the System restore doesn't resolve this issue try running sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files.

cmd will appear in Programs above, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.   

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it may stop, if it does not restart within five minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

You may also want to run chkdsk /r

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png , type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

Edited by dc3, 12 September 2013 - 01:49 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 syn1023

syn1023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

I tried both the scannow and the chkdsk but no change. Problem persists. Was unable to do a system restore as there was no point listed to restore to. What now?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

You have another topic on this issue, which I have just moved from the MRL forum to the Am I Infected foruml  See http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508234/white-background-and-microsoft-error-message-on-startup/#entry3161120 .

To prevent any conflicting advice/suggestions, I am closing this topic, pending resolution of the malware topic reflected in the link above.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2013 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users