Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook/OneNote 2013 is Slowing down my Windows 8 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kenstarrunner

kenstarrunner

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

I have been having this issue for the last few months... Every time I have Outlook or OneNote open... my... laptop... starts... to... crawl. 

I have tinkered with Outlook's settings, archived my old email, and tried to adjust the amount of time the program searches for new mail. OneNote just hangs everything up to the point where it is the only program I can run without pausing after each letter I type. 

Earlier I was running Office 2010, so I recently upgraded to Office 2013 to see if there were some "bugs" that a new install could work out. No Luck. 

In a desperate attempt I have also ran Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner, but nothing came up. I am running Symantec Endpoint Protection on my computer. 

Any suggestions on how to get my performance back??

My Laptop specs: 

Operating System: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5 2450M @ 2.50GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM: 4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz 
Motherboard: Acer VA50_HC_HR (U3E1)
Graphics: Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Hard Drives: 466GB Seagate ST9500325AS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

You mentioned you upgraded to Office 2013. Have you tried just uninstalling Office and reinstalling it?

#3 kenstarrunner

kenstarrunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

When I Upgraded to 2013, 2010 still existed on the hard drive, so I uninstalled 2010 afterward. I assume that since both programs were present at the same time, 2013 was a fresh install. 

I have not removed it and reinstalled 2013, because I did not consider it an upgrade. 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

When I Upgraded to 2013, 2010 still existed on the hard drive, so I uninstalled 2010 afterward. I assume that since both programs were present at the same time, 2013 was a fresh install. 

I have not removed it and reinstalled 2013, because I did not consider it an upgrade.

If Office 2013 was in fact a clean install, then yes, it would not really be an upgrade (as least as how I think of upgrades).

OTOH, it is possible that removing Office 2010 after installing Office 2013 might have messed something up. I don't believe it should, but weirder things have happened.

So, my original suggestion might still be a good thing to try...even though it is a bit of a pain.

#5 kenstarrunner

kenstarrunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

Done. 

Things seem to be moving a little smoother now, but the computer seemed to run a little faster just after the install the first time around. I guess after a few more uses I will know for sure. 

There seems to be a lot of things running in the background with windows 2013.... are they really necessary? Can't seem to find a way to turn them off.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

There seems to be a lot of things running in the background with windows 2013.... are they really necessary? Can't seem to find a way to turn them off.

I cannot really help you there...I not running Office 2013. Older versions still work fine for me. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users