Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UNABLE to write to the root directory of ANY external HDD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

I have three 180GB External HDDs hooked up to my computer and they ALL experience the SAME issue!!! I CANNOT write ANY files to the root directory of the drive!!! ALL programs results a some kind of "permission denied" error or another!!! I HAVE to create a sub folder before I can write ANY file!!!!!!! There is NO OS installed on any of these external HDD drives!!! they just have a bunch of pictures and stuff backed up... and Google is getting NOTHING when I search the problem!!!!!!! How do I get anything to write to the root directory of these drives???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

That kind of seems like a good thing to me... save clogging up the top branches of your hd's with files.

But it seems you are pretty keen on doing it. Have you checked the disk user permissions?

#3 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

That kind of seems like a good thing to me... save clogging up the top branches of your hd's with files.

But it seems you are pretty keen on doing it. Have you checked the disk user permissions?

How do I check Disk User Permissions???

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

user accounts>select user>properties

and

right click hard drive>properties>security tab>select  user