Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What free Android apps do you recommend

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 darkchild101

darkchild101

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Finally succumbed to pressure and bought my first smartphone ever, and am wondering what free Android apps do you recommend that i install on it

Btw i am not into gaming so no thanks in advance

I am interested in things like satnav apps, weather and whatever else. I cant even think what to write as i am a total newbie to it all

Many thanks folks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

Something that will be beneficial so that we can suggest appropriate apps. What are the specs on your Android? I went from a single core to a quad core and from 16 GB to 32 GB plus from 1 GB RAM to 2 GB RAM. This was 3 months ago. My recommendations from what I use with one phone to the other would not even be comparable.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 darkchild101

darkchild101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

The phone is an LG L3 Optimus (dont laugh please) :blush: Just need it to use whatsapp and things like that which wouldnt work on my old samsung non samrtphone

It has 1gb memory and everything is factory spec

#4 ummhasan

ummhasan

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

I have a Galaxy S3 but I'm using AVG for free security, Polaris for word docs, flipboard for news, firefox for internet, google maps for navigation, Adobe reader for pdfs, skype and whatsapp for keeping in touch with overseas friends and family, airPush for keeping adware apps off, dropbox for managing files, and I add my email accounts to the standard system email access for managing email.

#5 darkchild101

darkchild101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Thanks ummhasan, just curious. I run Linux Mint how do i get my phone to connect with my pc. Went onto Lg website and they dont have any drivers for linux pcs

#6 ummhasan

ummhasan

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

Thanks ummhasan, just curious. I run Linux Mint how do i get my phone to connect with my pc. Went onto Lg website and they dont have any drivers for linux pcs

You're welcome, I honestly don't know, although I have used Linux and have a dual boot pc with linux and windows and a LAMP server, I've never tried to connect my phone to the Linux OS. I did find this post though on the Ubuntu forum. Reading it might help, if not, maybe you can post a question there. Here's the link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1417519

#7 ScreamingBanshee

ScreamingBanshee

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

All depends on what you actually want to do with it. No point installing apps for the sake of it. As with anything, logically speaking - first determine your need - then seek a solution.

#8 darkchild101

darkchild101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Not only apps but the main thing i want is to transfer files onto phone from my computer and i cant do that as it wont connect

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

If you want to do that, use Dropbox. Just download the desktop app and the Android app. Move your files to the desktop app and you only have to share them with your phone once. From that point, everything you put into Dropbox shares automatically.

http://www.dropbox.com/

#10 ScreamingBanshee

ScreamingBanshee

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

Yeah, I'd go for a remote method. Would save a lot of hassle, connecting hardware.

Edited by ScreamingBanshee, 19 September 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#11 ummhasan

ummhasan

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

I 3rd the dropbox. I use it too.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

Or my favorite app AirDroid.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

I really like fing. It's a free app that monitors your current network and displays general information including the local ip address of all the devices connected. Was helpful when I was setting up a static ip for one of my computers and checking to see which roommates are home (their smartphones auto connect to the wireless).

Edited by AdagioBoognish, 23 September 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#14 professor universe

professor universe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

I love Orbot with Orweb. It's Tor/Tor browser for your Android device. ChatSecure (formerly Gibberbot), which is an Android chat encryption app. GnuPG: Open PGP Encryption for mail and file encryption. And Ostel for encrypted phone calls. All of these are available through the Guardian Project.

#15 panologic

panologic

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

I would suggest a nice App to edit you pictures from Camera whose name is "Photowonder" orelse you may also try "Picsart". both the Apps have a great responses from people. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users