Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook Pro display problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darthian

darthian

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'm messing with a Macbook Pro A1260 that has no display when turned on. Some screws in the screen broke and cracked the display assembly so the entire assembly needs replacement. I thought maybe since it was broke some wires might have caused the issue, but after opening it up everything looks fine. I also attached an external display to it with a DVI-I to VGA converter. The external display does nothing. The computer appears to start up (fans work and makes some noises), it has a white light showing when it is turned on where the button to open the laptop up is. It also gets hot after a while so something is working. However there is no caps lock light coming on and the laptop makes no sounds while starting up. I tried hitting the f2 key to brighten the display and nothing. I'm thinking it has some motherboard problems atm, but could use some insight from someone else.

Edited by darthian, 11 September 2013 - 06:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

The fact that you don't hear the typical Mac startup "chime" and you get no display on either the internal screen or an external screen does seem to strong suggest some issue with the motherboard.

If you cannot boot at all, then you cannot run Apple's Hardware Test application. To run AHT, you either need to boot from the Mac OS install disc (if running 10.5.x or 10.6.x) or from the hard drive (if running 10.7.x or newer).

If that is the case, your only option might be to take it to an authorized Apple tech or an Apple Store to have them diagnose the problem "for sure". If it is the motherboard, you might be able to buy a replacement yourself through other sources and do a "do-it-yourself" fix if you can confirm it is the mobo.

#3 darthian

darthian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm guessing there is no way to get any useful info from running the AHT with no working display?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm guessing there is no way to get any useful info from running the AHT with no working display?

Not that I can think of. So, unless running AHT will somehow also allow the display to work, your best bet is likely to take to an authorized Apple tech or an Apple Store for them to try to diagnose. FWIW, Apple Store will diagnose problems for free I believe. Of course, the repairs through them will be expensive, especially if it is a motherboard.

#5 darthian

darthian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

That's what I figured. Unfortunatly there are no apple stores close enough to me to make it worth going to one... so have been looking around for the best prices on maybe a used motherboard and just replace it. I also have to replace the screen assembly so deciding rather or not it would be worth fixing as well. Found some ebay prices of motherboards around $200 and around $100 for the display assembly so far.

Edited by darthian, 13 September 2013 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users