Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor/screen moves to top/left in all programs and windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 schazzz

schazzz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hi! Here's what I've got going on...

Hardware:
Asus N53SV laptop with Windows 7 64bit.
Hardware is original other than a recent upgrade to 14gb of RAM (added 2 4gb sticks to the original 6gbs of RAM)

I started having this problem periodically and it has been getting worse to the point where my computer becomes unusable. Often, when I switch programs, close some programs, etc, the problem will go away temporarily then come back.

The problem is this:
The cursor/screen moves to the top-left most part of whatever program, window or text box I'm in. This happens on the desktop (the upper left hand icon is highlighted over and over), in Firefox and Chrome (webpages keep returning to the top, and in the URL bar or any text box, the cursor returns to the beginning of the box when I try to type), and every other program.

Things I've tried: 
-I ran Malwarebytes and Avast. Malwarebytes did find a couple of minor things but I quarantined them and the problem remained. Avast didn't find anything. 
-I changed mouse/trackpad settings, including alternatively disabling the mouse and the trackpad, but the problem remained no matter which setting was changed or which of the mouse or trackpad was disabled.
-I closed most of the programs running on my computer one by one (went into the hidden icons section and closed them, and closed each browser.) 

One other thing to note is that I recently used CCleaner to clean files and clean the registry, but this problem was happening some before I did that.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Will

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

First thing I would recommend would be to plug in an external mouse and disable the mousepad driver to see if the issue stays.

If it doesn't and the external mouse works fine, check some of these:

Have you tried using some compressed air in, on and around the keyboard and mousepad?  Also using a electronics approved cleaner to clean the mousepad?  You may also try uninstalling the mousepad drivers and downloading/installing the latest drivers?

#3 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

First, with todays systems it is not necissary to clean the registry and can in fact be detrimental, causing random problems (like the one you are having, but registry errors may not be the actual cause).

Second, does this laptop have the little mouse stick in the middle of the keyboard?  If so, try to disable it or clean the keys and anything else near the device. I would say completely disable it, as it has been my experience that those fail more often then not.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#4 schazzz

schazzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

It's funny...I had turned off the mousepad before, but not fully disabled it. Now that it's fully disabled, it seems to be working for the most part, although I did just have it skip once so I'm going to keep an eye on it a bit more. I'll download a new driver as well. Thank you BKSeoul

I'll keep the registry comment in mind and not clean it anymore! Thanks for that wing987!

As for a mouse stick, it luckily doesn't have one of those, so that's not the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users