Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lsass.exe: Application Failed To Initialize Properly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mylogicistechno

mylogicistechno

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

A user I've been working with has been recieving a blue screen with the error message "lsass.exe - Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006). Click OK to terminate the application" whenever she boots up her computer. I know that lsass.exe verifies the validity of user logons to the computer. From what I've been able to find online, this is either a side effect of Sassar or she needs to run a repair install. Does anyone have any experience with this issue who can tell me a bit more than the vague suggestions I found on Google? Thanks.
"My eyes divide the skies
as sirens sound in Heaven
My will brings down the moon
and shatters it to pieces"
Assemblage 23 - Divide

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PurpleSky

PurpleSky

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:31 AM

Sounds like an infection case and i doubt the version is legit. If it is a legit version after doing my best to clean the infection I would give it a go with a repair installation.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

I would try the W32.Sasser Removal Tool, from Symantec, before doing a repair install.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:01 PM

Search for the file "lsass" - the legitimate one will be in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. If it's somewhere else, like the root directory of the drive or the C:\Windows folder or a program folder, it's bad. If you find the file, right-click on it and choose "properties." You should be able to quickly determine, by running down the items on the left in the properties box, that it is indeed from Microsoft Corporation. Also, check for Isass - that's the same thing but with a capital i. Those malware writers are clever buggers. The correct filename should start with a small "L" because it's an acronym for: "Local Security Authority Service."

#5 csgt

csgt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

I'm having the same type of issue where my XP machine while booting receives a message box titled "lsass.exe - Application Error" with the message "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application." This occurs twice and then just sits on an empty screen. It never reaches the login screen. I have tried booting to safe mode and the last good configuration and they both experience the same thing.

Since I can't get the machine to boot, I pulled the drive and put it in another computer as a slave. I've run scans and such but when I put it back in and try to boot, I get the same thing.

From what I've read is that the bogus lsass.exe is being executed from a bogus random name so the searches for it come up empty.

I'm at wits' end and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#6 jrose97

jrose97

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:18 AM

I'm having the same type of issue where my XP machine while booting receives a message box titled "lsass.exe - Application Error" with the message "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application." This occurs twice and then just sits on an empty screen. It never reaches the login screen. I have tried booting to safe mode and the last good configuration and they both experience the same thing.

Since I can't get the machine to boot, I pulled the drive and put it in another computer as a slave. I've run scans and such but when I put it back in and try to boot, I get the same thing.

From what I've read is that the bogus lsass.exe is being executed from a bogus random name so the searches for it come up empty.

I'm at wits' end and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have the same problem and tried the same course of action. Still frozen.

#7 ollybolly09

ollybolly09

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

I'm also having the same problem. Did anyone manage to get a fix?

#8 jimculbert

jimculbert

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:36 AM

Lets add one more to the "I'm having the same problem" list. I was going to try a fresh install using my windows disk but Windows Setup gives me the message "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in you computer." I don't understand how I could even get to the message screen about the lsass.exe error if the HD had crapped out. Any ideas?

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:01 AM

Hi and Welcome to BleepingComputer,

In order for you guys to get help, you really need to start your own topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users