Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD cards and flash drives not detected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

My Toshiba Satellite L750 won't detect an SD card plugged into the built-in SD card reader. When I plug an SD card in, the status LED flashes for a second and then goes out. Windows sometimes plays the hardware insertion sound and shows the SD card in My Computer, but it disappears when the LED stops flashing. I can eventually get Windows to detect the card, but I have to remove and reinsert it several times. I don't like doing that. This happens with two good cards.

This computer also has trouble detecting flash drives properly. Windows will detect the drive, but it shows zero capacity and "..." for the device name in Safely Remove Hardware. I can sometimes get the drive to work, but that requires the same steps as the SD card reader (removing and reinserting the drive several times), and I can't actually safely remove it. It is a little more reliable in the USB port on the left side of the computer, but sometimes I have something plugged into that port because the USB ports on the right are in a really bad location. I did notice that the drive seems to fit really loosely in the right USB ports, so both problems might just be poor quality connectors. If that is the problem, I won't mess with it.

I can post any hardware information later. This computer is running Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Can You Post a clear Picture of the ports?

Thank You

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'll try to, but my camera isn't very good. The USB ports appear intact to me, and all other USB devices have worked properly.

I think it might only be one flash drive having issues. It is an 8GB Sandisk Cruzer, which works on other computers.

#4 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

Today, the flash drive wouldn't work at all. I have been using it with an extension cable since it is too big to fit around the other connectors near the USB ports on most computers. It worked when I plugged it in directly instead of using the extension cable, but it works with the extension cable on all other computers. That is strange.

Also, I noticed that the SD card slot was full of dust. I don't know how that can happen, but I blew the dust out and it appears to work. I have never seen any connector on a computer get that dirty.

Edited by lti, 12 September 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

I would get a new extension cable and see if it helps. The USB on your computer or the cable may be a little worn and likewise with the cable or flash drive and between them that could cause a problem. That is a guess by the way, I have seen worn out USB ports from to much plugging and unplugging.

I have seen connectors get very dusty as You describe. usually on laptops. It happens because the SD card slot is not sealed inside the computer and the cooling fan is pulling air into it and the dust comes along for the ride and settles there.

Since that got so dusty there is a possibility that the CPU/GPU heatsink could be getting clogged with dust too. Does the Laptop feel warmer than in the past or does the air blowing out of it feel hotter?

I suppose You are off warranty? If not I would get the USB ports fixed while you can do it for free. As they are usually soldered on to the motherboard on at least one side. I have seen Toshiba's where some are soldered on and others are on a daughtercard.

Yours looks like it has at least one daughtercard as I found this with a quick search.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-ports-module-for-TOSHIBA-Satellite-L750-BT4N22-PSK1WU-0UP04G-new-genuine-/160700901694

$(KGrHqRHJCwE7Bcvh4)(BO6qp1Uglw~~60_12.J

And this one from the UK, board and ribbon cable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSHIBA-SATELLITE-L750-L750D-L755-L755D-USB-BOARD-RIBBON-DA0L6TB6F0-/300960334359?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item4612a24217

I put these here as samples as I have not dealt with them and do not do eBay purchases.

It is also possible that the part might be cheaper from Toshiba. I have seen that in the past.

The hard part with Toshiba is getting a service manual.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 September 2013 - 09:04 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

That extension cable works on other computers.

It's almost two years old, so it is out of warranty. The air coming out the side doesn't feel any warmer.

I don't think I use the USB ports enough for them to wear out, but the keyboard seemed to wear out unusually fast. This computer isn't very good quality.

I might be able to replace the USB connectors instead of the entire board, but it would be hard to remove them with my soldering equipment. They aren't completely broken yet, so I'll wait a while before taking this laptop apart. It would be a lot easier to just replace that board, but I found the connectors for $1.09 each. I'm weird like that. :crazy: Also, that extension cable doesn't work on the USB port soldered to the motherboard.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Hi

Fortunately the Keyboards are pretty cheap and easy to change.

You Said "That extension cable works on other computers."

True enough, however when using it with other computers they have different USB ports. Thus it could be the way the port and the cable have worn that causes the problem.

I do not think that Toshiba is any worse than other home user brands with a couple of exceptions.

For example Panasonic Toughbook laptops http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/laptop-computers.asp?cm_mmc=PSCNA-_-Vanities-_-toughbook-_-toughbook-landing

However You pay for that durability.

Panasonic Toughbook® mobile computers are engineered to withstand drops, spills, dust and grime, and to perform in the harshest environments. Rugged reliability, low cost of ownership and accolades from reviewers are just a few of the reasons why Toughbook computers keep winning over the world's toughest users

And Lenovo Thinkpads, Not All Lenovo computers, Only the Thinkpads.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/

There's a reason ThinkPad reliability is legendary and it starts with military-spec testing against extremes — our laptops more than endure the rigors of everyday life.  Factor in the award-winning precision keyboard with its renowned red TrackPoint®, multitouch touchpad, ergonomic keys, and convenient multimedia buttons and we've got comfort covered too.

Toshiba Business models are also more durable than the Home user models.

In the past I have worked for Lenovo and Toshiba Authorized Service Providers (ASP), However having said that, I still have my Toshiba Business model Laptop bought used, My Acer low end laptop, a Lenovo All-In-One desktop, and a Home-built Desktop with an ASUS motherboard and Intel i7 CPU,  I gave away my ASUS Laptop. The only influence that position had was I know where to go for service if needed locally. Approximately 12 miles away.

In laptops you truly do get what You pay for.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users