Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell D620 only yellow light when power button is pressed?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

This laptop was working fine and I had it stored away for a few months, now when I try to power on all I am getting is a yellow light? If I hold the power button down this light will just keep going on and off, I tried removing the battery which I think is dead anyway and I also tried reseating the ram but same problem?

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2013 - 09:10 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'm guessing that you are referring to the device status lights?

Which one is blinking?

Look at this page in the user manual to determine which light is blinking if you don't know which light it is.

Edited by dc3, 11 September 2013 - 09:58 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

It's the battery light that blinks when I hold down the power button.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

The blinking light indicates the lack of battery or lack of charge.

Try leaving the battery out, disconnect the power adapter and press and hold the power button for thirty seconds.  Install the battery and connect the power adapter and try to boot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Tried but doesn't work.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

Does the fan run when you press the power button?

Can you hear or feel the hdd spin up?  

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

No and No.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Do you have a DC voltmeter which you can use to test the output of the power adapter?

I know that the yellow light blinks, but if there is insufficient voltage or amperage the computer will not run.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Yes, i have a voltmeter, thanks, i will search online how to sue to test the power adapter, get back to you.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

On the power adapter the input and output voltages will be listed.  

If you will post the make and model of this laptop I can tell you what the proper voltage should be.

To test the adapter the positive probe (red) is put to the inside of the plug which attaches it to the laptop, and negative probe (black) will be placed against the outside of the plug.

adapter_zpsf6da1dd6.png

The meter should be set to DC voltage.  If this is a digital multimeter it will automatically set the range.  If it is a analog meter you will need to set the range manually.  If you know what the different ranges are and will post them here I will tell you which one to use if you need the help.

Edit:  I just noticed that I reversed the red and black probe points of testing.

Edited by dc3, 12 September 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Ok, what I did was set the MM to 200 on the V~ section then plugged into the wall and tested the end which connects to the adapter, the MM showed 20.3, I did the same with another adapter's cord and that one read 120.6, is this all correct? If yes then this should mean the cord which connects to the wall and the adapter is now faulty?

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

If the above is correct, I then tested the end connector which plugs into the laptop and this is reading 19.6 so what I am not understanding is if only 20.3V is coming through the first cord coming out of the wall so hardly any significant amount of electricity is being supplied to the adapter then why is the other cord which plugs into the laptop still reading the correct voltage of 19V?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

What country are you in?

One of the problems with a DMM is that it can produce ghost voltages, this means that it can produce erroneous readings.  Years ago I used a DMM to read the 110V line voltage, the DMM was showing 600V.  Using a voltage detector I saw the proper voltage.  The proper voltage for the Dell d620 is 19.5V DC, so it looks like the adapter is at least producing the proper voltage.

What happens if you try to access the BIOS?

To access the BIOS press and hold F2 immediately after pressing the power button.

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

I'm in NY, I can't access the BIOS becuase the unit does not power on. I am scheduled to go to a friend tomorrow who has a universal which will fit this unit so I will know for sure if it's the cable here that is the issue. So to get back to the testing issue and from your answer "the proper voltage for the Dell d620 is 19.5V DC, so it looks like the adapter is at least producing the proper voltage", this tells me that as long as the adapter itself is working fine, it will product the 19.5 V so it doe snot matter how much current is coming in from the wall, is this right?.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

Usually if the adapter is producing the proper voltage it will provide the proper amperage as well.  Even if the amperage was a little low the laptop still should power up.  The fact that you are getting the blinking yellow light indicates that the laptop is getting power.

Try checking the RAM modules.  Remove on module and try starting the laptop.  If it doesn't work try the same module in the second socket.  

If this does not work try the same test with the second RAM module.

Have you dropped this laptop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users