Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 simored

simored

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

Hello,
I've been dealing for some time with frequent crashes (BSOD), most of the time with error related to memory (page fault in nonpaged area, ecc..). I run some tests with memtest on my RAM ( 2x1gb) and sometimes the output is a huge number of errors and sometimes I get no errors. I also tried to test single banks of memory and I didn't find any error in this case. I was wandering if this could be a motherboard problem. I would like to be sure before replacing my RAM.Could you please help me?Thank you

(Proc is an intel e6600, motherboard an Asus p5k. SO is Windows 7.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

One error...is the same as a thousand...when using Memtest 86+ to test RAM.

Did you test each module individually...in each motherboard slot?  It's time consuming but it helps define the problem.

Louis

#3 simored

simored
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

I tested them individually, yes, but not in each slot. When I test them individually I get no errors at all it seems. I should try to test them in each slot like you say. If I get errors in one particular slot the problem it's probably the motherboard, right?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

Test them in each slot a hamluis suggested.  Sometimes it is that simple to swap slots to find a problem child, or sometimes even fix the problem.

Would not hurt to verify the memory voltage and timings in BIOS.  If memory timings and voltages are correct, then my next step would be to bump up the mem voltage by .1V and recheck to see if stability has improved.

Edited by dpunisher, 11 September 2013 - 03:34 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users