Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update for Excel 2003 (KB 2810048) will not install?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Good morning,

My apologies if this is not the most appropriate sub-forum to post this issue in.

Description of problem:

Yesterday, I installed the latest 29 Windows Updates.  However, the update for Excel 2003 (as shown in the subject heading) will not install, even though the Windows Update History Log indicates it did.  Secunia continues to notify me of the need to install this update as well.  (Please note that I have and use MS Office 2010 on my computer even though Office 2003 is also installed, but not used).

Remedial measures attempted thus far:

1. Tried updating 3 more times, and re-booting after each attempt - problem persists.

2.  Downloaded and ran the MBSA tool.  It confirms the aforementioned Excel update is missing & under the "Windows Scan Results" heading, it confirms "a previous software update installation was not completed."  All other updates are confirmed as being installed.

3.  Posted an inquiry in both the Microsoft & Secunia PSI Forums.  All the numerous responses I've received so far are simply others reporting the same problem, but no solution has been indicated.

4.  Ran quick scans with AV, MBAM, & SAS - no malware issues found.

My questionHow do I resolve this problem?

Thank you for your time, review, and any assistance!

Regards,

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

From your Signature, you use Win7 SP1.

Try sfc /scannow by:

Go to start ---> type in cmd. ---> right click at cmd.exe ---> Run as administrator ---> Yes ---> type in sfc /scannow ---> Press enter.

Other option, if you don't use it, considering uninstall.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Hi Sirawit,

Thanks very much for your reply to my post!  After making my post here, I actually did what your alternate option was, namely...uninstall MS Office 2003 from the computer.  The Secunia icon has now returned to green, and I will next run another MBSA scan just to ensure everything is in order again.  If a problem still exists, I'll try the sfc /scannow option you mentioned and report back here.

Thanks again & best regards!

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

No problems. :)

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

Here's a follow-up, Sirawit...

The MBSA scan only displays a "yellow shield" alert now.  It says something like, "There was an incomplete software installation...a reboot may be needed to complete the process."  (Or something similar).  Aside from the Windows updates done yesterday, there have been no other updates or additional programs downloaded/installed...EXCEPT the usual daily updates of my AV,  MBAM & SAS;  the un-installation of Office 2003 from the computer this morning, and Adobe Reader XI updated this morning also.  Besides...I DID reboot the computer not only yesterday after the updates were installed, but have rebooted the computer twice this morning already.

I ran the sfc /scannow you mentioned.  It reported no problems.  I seem to recall that this type of problem with Microsoft Windows updates has occurred in the past, but I cannot recall what, if anything...was the resolution to it.

Thanks again for your time and help!

Edited by spc3rd, 11 September 2013 - 09:56 AM.

spc3rd

#6 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Please try this : Click

Thank you.

#7 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for the additional info, Sirawit!

I did just go ahead and uninstall Office 2003 from my computer.  That made the most sense, given that support for Office 2003 will end in April 2014 anyway and I already have Office 2010 installed on this computer.  I believe the issue has now been resolved.  When I went to

Control Panel > Windows Updates, it is now showing green and there are no updates available for installation.

My thanks again for all your time and help!

spc3rd

#8 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

np. Good to hear that your problem resolved. :)

Thank you.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Have you read this topic?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

Hi Quietman7,

Thanks very much for the additional info!  The issue I reported in my OP has resolved itself.  I uninstalled the MS Office 2003 from my computer since I do have Office 2010 installed.  The last MBSA scan I did this morning reports no problems, and the same is true for the sfc /scannow I did as well.  There do seem to be quite a few people who are still having issues (based on the reply notifications I still receive from the MS Forums & Secunia PSI).

Best regards! :bounce:

spc3rd

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

You're welcome.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

Thanks quietman for additional infoi! I just know I got this problem too.

Thank you.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

You're welcome too.