Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best anti-virus/trojan/malware for Mac 2013

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 theflash777

theflash777

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

Hey,

I've had a look at an older thread on this forum which mentioned Sophos, ClamAV, Avast, etc., but it was a few years ago. I'm wondering what the best one is to date? I don't care about free or paid.

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 24 March 2014 - 10:14 AM.
Moved from Mac OS to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

I have had installed Norton Antivirus 12 (formerly 11) for my mid-2009 MacBook Pro and iMac before that for several years, however, I switched to Trend Micro's Titanium Internet Security for Mac 2014.  It blocks dangerous links, and it puts green checkmarks by safe sites when you use a search engine.  About the only thing I do not like about it is that they update the definitions only once a day and sometimes skip a day.  It is relatively easy to install and use.  When you download it, they offer you an account where if need be you can install it again.  They also give you two software programs to uninstall the program if you encounter problems.  They offer phone support, but I find their email support is superior.  Email support almost always gets you to a senior advisor.  You can set the program to do a full scan once a day or scan when you like.

On my wife's mid-2013 MacBook Air, I have installed the free program, Sophos version 9.  It updates its definitions more often and works easily.  You can set the program to do a full scan once a day or scan when you like.

I do believe that you need an anti-virus program, not to just protect your Mac but to protect PCs and Macs that you communicate with.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Personally, I use VirusBarrier from Intego. I have for quite a while. I don't know if they are the "best", but it has worked well for me.

FWIW, I have not updated to their latest version. I am still currently running VirusBarrier X6.

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

I don't use any AV with my 3 Macs. I did buy a license for one when I first started using a Mac but, it didn't detect anything each time it scanned my Mac. I eventually uninstalled it when they wanted $99 for one year worth of updated definitions. That was seven years ago. A few years ago someone said that their AV had detected lots and lots of bugs so I thought i'd download a trial version of a commercial AV and run it after it had updated all the definitions but, again, it showed zero detections. If you really think you need an AV for your Mac use a free version, paid for AV and their yearly subscriptions are just a waste of money IMO. 

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

I don't use any AV with my 3 Macs. I did buy a license for one when I first started using a Mac but, it didn't detect anything each time it scanned my Mac. I eventually uninstalled it when they wanted $99 for one year worth of updated definitions. That was seven years ago. A few years ago someone said that their AV had detected lots and lots of bugs so I thought i'd download a trial version of a commercial AV and run it after it had updated all the definitions but, again, it showed zero detections. If you really think you need an AV for your Mac use a free version, paid for AV and their yearly subscriptions are just a waste of money IMO.

You are no alone. There are lots of people who don't use AV software with a Mac. This has typically been OK in the past as there have not be hardly any threats to speak of for the Mac OS. This, however, is becoming less and less true.

Personally, I prefer to be on the safe side and run something.   :)

#6 morabona

morabona

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

I use Kaspersky. I had norton and had issues with it.  Kaspersky has worked well and as a PC/MAC Technician is the one I recommend to all my clients.  The reality of it is though a virus scan is really only as good as its definitions and none are ever 100% guarenteed.

#7 xz4dxx

xz4dxx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

For our site I have found Trend a great blocker for the MacBook Airs that everyone takes on the road. Really there have only been four "incidents" since August 2011 but there have been a significant number of "Blocked Websites" where the user is too embarrassed to admit where they were going. Trend has been effective with one important caveat - always REMOVE it before attempting an upgrade of the underlying OS - e.g. Snow Leopard -> Lion and Lion -> Mountain Lion... both upgrades failed when Trend was installed.

#8 roll

roll

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Mac Antivirus Software Review

#9 iugreen

iugreen

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

i vote for kaspersky

Edited by iugreen, 02 December 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#10 kracalo

kracalo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

I use sophos on my home macbook pro, in company where i work we use f-secure. Both don't slow down any mac that we use. 

#11 Calicos

Calicos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:23 AM

I currently use Avast. It's good and doesn't slow the system much, and the hit rate is high. I used Sophos but its detection rate is lower.

#12 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

I had been using Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security for Mac 2014, but ran into a technical problem.  Their Facebook privacy scanner stopped being able to connect.  A senior tech collected info from my Mac and sent it to engineering.  They want to connect with my Mac next Friday and change a file.  Later, they will create an update for all users as only some users have had this problem.

Meanwhile, I deinstalled it and installed Sophos which is on my wife's MacBook Air and it caught a malware on my MacBook Pro and took care of it.  This malware was not detected by Trend Micro's program.  

Sophos is available in two free Mac versions:  one for older operating systems and one for newer operating systems.  We are currently using Sophos version 9.05.

I am also considering BitDefender as it offers micro updates every hour.  I don't think I will go back to Trend Micro.

I agree with the people on this forum who say you should have an antivirus program on your Mac.  It is to protect your Mac but more importantly for you not to transfer through emails or file transfers to PC owners PC malware which is much more prevalent.  The malware creators are getting more advanced and malicious.

#13 Genex17

Genex17

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

I agree with the people on this forum who say you should have an antivirus program on your Mac.  It is to protect your Mac but more importantly for you not to transfer through emails or file transfers to PC owners PC malware which is much more prevalent.  The malware creators are getting more advanced and malicious.

Thanks for the Sophos recommendation.

I've downloaded and made a few scans and have come up negative on malware.

There have been two "issues" primarily due to one of the contents of Adobe's Edge Reflow app being "encrypted."

Not to stir up the old PC vs. Mac pot, but as a Windows user, the Mac seems to be the safer neighborhood to walk around the Internet.

That's the reason I got a used mid-2009 Macbook. That's not "bigotry", just common sense.

Edited by Genex17, 19 February 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

Not to stir up the old PC vs. Mac pot, but as a Windows user, the Mac seems to be the safer neighborhood to walk around the Internet.
That's the reason I got a used mid-2009 Macbook. That's not "bigotry", just common sense.

That is a hotly debated issue for some. I am sure that if the debate got rolling, it would be lively as to whether the Mac OS or Windows is more secure.

I cannot say which is technically more secure. What I can say is that there are a heck of lot less forms of malware out there for Macs, which to me is a one small reason why I like Macs better. Whether that is because Macs might be more secure (as I said, debatable) or because there are so many fewer of them that there is less "bang for the buck" for malware writers to target Macs or some other reason doe not matter to me. What ever the reason, there are fewer threats out there for Macs.

But, that is changing slowly.

And even knowing that, I have have ALWAYS run anti-virus software on my Macs (and of course, my Windows machines)…all the way back to the days before Mac OS X when Mac viruses were rather prevalent.

#15 Genex17

Genex17

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

I guess the paranoia caution has caused me to move my "best practices" to the Mac side anyway.

I install updates, use firewalls, and while there are less threats, I added Sophos.

One of the "vectors" for infection is the browser,so first thing on my Mac was Firefox/noscript/flashblock.

Looks like a good move. Have a look at the SSL exploit in OSX that just got posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users