Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive detects error:

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mostrosg

mostrosg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hello everyone!

I've been trying to get rid off this virus for about a week. A pop up keeps on showing up as " Windows has detected a hard disk problem, Back up your files.........".

Lately after restarting the laptop I get the SMART message on a black screen and asks to press any key to continue, which takes me back to windows taking for ever to open. I called the manufacture (Sony) to double check if this is a virus or a real problem and they said is a virus. Searching on the internet I found you guys. Following the removal instructions , I  downloaded and ran iExplore.exe, the TDSSKiller and the Malwarebytes. The first scan found 2 trojans and over 30 PUP's which I quarantined and deleted all. Did a couple more scans and it doesn't find any infected files anymore, but the SMART, Windows found a hard disk problem, still popping up.

Any other suggestions before doing a recovery? I won't mind a recovery but I have a lot of files to backup and now my external HD is not recognized by my laptop, neither in a second computer.

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2013 - 06:35 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

" Windows has detected a hard disk problem, Back up your files.........". < This may be genuine

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<--Full Directions Here (only post the link)

Thank You -

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

Hi

That is not a Virus or software issue. Every modern hard drive came with a built in health monitoring system named SMART which means Self Monitoring and Reporting Tools. A SMART error means your hard drive is in serious trouble and need to be replaced. Please backup your data to an external medium immediately.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1879485,00.asp

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

After you have backed it up, take it apart... the platter inside makes a really nice drink coaster for your desk. :)

#5 mostrosg

mostrosg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

I just talked to another Sony rep. and they are going to take care of my laptop problem since it still under warranty. I don't know why the 1st one I called told me is a virus.

Thanks for all you guys help and advices. Have a nice day!

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

Hi

Most reps are working without any practical experience in computer service or IT support field. I also had similar experience with a HP laptop. It's keyboard was faulty and my client can't even enter in to the BIOS setup. What the HP rep told me is to re-install OS to fix that !.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users