Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fragmentation Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:36 AM

I have a PC (2 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM), XP OS, Dell Laptop) with Norton SystemWorks installed. I have a 60 GB HD, and only 40% of it is utilized. I monitor the fragmentation level continuously (along with some other variables, like CPU use, etc). When the system is fragmented, I defrag it.

Here is the 'problem'. After I defrag the system and do a simple task, like check my email, or log off and back on again, my Norton monitor system shows significant fragmentation (10-20%). When I view the extent (graphically), indeed it is fragmented.

What would cause it to fragment so quickly and what might I do to reduce the frequency I am required to defrag the system?

I always thought that the defrag process actually 'bonded' segments for stored programs/data so that the fragmentation process would be eliminated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:46 AM

Are you using Windows' defragmenter or Norton's Speed Disk? There is a lot of difference in the way the two set up areas on the drive. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Norton has somehow managed to screw this up. If you use one, you shouldn't use the other because they'll simply move files back and forth. I've not seen disks become quickly fragmented like this before, and can't help but wonder what else you may be doing. Do you compress files to save space? (I don't) Do you have any blocks of large files that might get deleted? This may be a proclivity of Norton.

You might find some interesting reading here, and notice the links at the bottom of the page. I don't encourage using Knoppix to re-partition your drive, especially since the actual usage may be messed up somehow.

#3 PurpleSky

PurpleSky

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:32 AM

Download the diagnosics utily for your hard drive from the manufacturers website and run a test to see the health status of your hard drive.

#4 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

Do you chdsk for errors bfore defragging? What about cleaning out the temporary files and such? To add to Herks post, I too stay away from Norton products, they have given me trouble while on the system and even while trying to uninstall them. I use Diskeeper for defrag. But its not a good idea to keep switchin defraggers.

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:35 PM

I DO NOT use the Norton Defragger; I have used the Windows defragger every time. I cleaned out the temporary files BEFORE I started the defrag process. I have not removed any large files.

This event occurs almost immediately after the Windows defrag process is complete. To my knowledge, I have not moved any large files between the time I finished the defrag process and the start of checking email, reading USAToday for the news, etc.

I have not done any CHKDSK on this hard drive. I used to do that function in the old DOS system; how is that done with Window OS?

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:00 AM

CHKDSK is the version of Scandisk that is used in XP, Win 2000, NT and so on. The XP version is improved over older systems. In order to run it, go to My Computer, right-click on the C: drive, choose Properties. Now you see the screen with the disk cleanup, and the pie chart. Click on the Tools tab. First choice (above the defrag) is the error-checking tool. That's actually CHKDSK. Click "Check now." Click the top choice to enable error-checking. Click the bottom choice to scan the disk surface. (Can take a long time.) It will tell you that it cannot scan now and ask if you want to schedule a disk check when you restart. Click yes. Restart your computer. It will start up with a blue screen with white print while the chkdsk runs and it will go through the stages and report what it finds as it goes. When it's finished, the system will reboot. Once started, it cannot be stopped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users