Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen BIOS/ACPI Error--Striped Screen Upon Reboot: Please help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bamminer

bamminer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Specs: HP Compaq 5100 SFF Running XP PRO SP3 With A 2.8 GHz P4 and 3 GBs of RAM.

Let me tell you what happened. I was having problems with a very, very slow CD/DVD combo drive and I looked around and around and could find only one thing that seemed like it would help and it made perfect sense. You see, I have a good computer, but it is a Small Form--not allowing me to add much to it. Anything that I have added has to be added as a slave device. Anyway, my configuration was this: My boot drive is a 80 GB SATA drive. Then, I have only one IDE Controller on the Motherboard, which has the CD/DVD drive as master and an old 40GB Hard Drive as slave. My optical drive was turtle or snail slow when viewing pictures, copying/pasting files to the HD, and anything that is data oriented. So, what I did was disconnect the slave HD drive to see if that would make it run like an optical drive was supposed to run, a little slow, but bearable. When I did this, and reconnected and rebooted, it would not boot to anything--safe mode, windows, last known configuration, hp recovery, 2 boot discs, nothing! At the opening screen, I get the opening HP screen, but it has stripes. I go into BIOS and the menus are striped. If I try to boot to Windows/Safe Mode, I get either a black screen where nothing happens, an endless pause, or a Blue Screen telling me that I have a BIOS error and they have stopped at this point to avoid any further damage. There's also a message telling me to press F7 to disable ACPI so that I can continue with an installation. This has never happened to me before. Because I took out a drive that was a slave drive. Please help me with any advice that you can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

:welcome:  to the Bleeping Computer forum.

At the opening screen, I get the opening HP screen, but it has stripes. I go into BIOS and the menus are striped.

My assumption is one of the memory sticks got loosed from it's slot when you played with the HDD. Please remove the memory modules and use a pencil rubber to clean it's gold plated contacts.  After making sure the contacts are clean and shining, inset them to the slots. If there is more than one module, connect one at a time. Now try to boot the system.

d20_ram3.gif

#3 bamminer

bamminer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

OK, thanks I'm going to try that and thank you so very much for your reply. I really needed this.

BTW and for further reference, the STOP BLUE SCREEN MESSAGE THAT I'M GETTING IS: 0x000000A5 (0x00000011, 00000007, 0xF799B267, 0x0100000E).

#4 bamminer

bamminer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

THANK YOU!!! THAT DID WORK!!!! MY PLAN WAS TO DO WHAT YOU SAID AND TO CLEAN EACH OFF ONE BY ONE. BUT IT STOPPED WITH THE ONE THAT WAS CLOSEST TO MY IDE DRIVE BAY. Once I cleaned that one off, I couldn't boot into Windows still; however, I could now boot into both Safe Mode and HP Recovery. I chose to use Safe Mode and to activate my Erunt Registry File that I saved about 2 days ago and Wahla!!! After rebooting, Windows was back and everything was as before! THANKS AGAIN SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND THIS WAS PRICELESS!!!!

Let me ask you another question. Could I still disconnect the slave drive and see if that is what is causing my CD/DVD Data Speed Problem? The only reason I did it in the first place was because I knew you could do that and I have been disconnecting slave drives for years. I know that you can't do that with boot drives or the machine will throw a "major hissy fit". Second question: If I had set the 2nd Hard Drive up as Master on the IDE Controller with optical drive as slave, would this have worked and will it work now after it has been already configured to work in the opposite way? I only set the optical drive up as Master because I didn't want to create a major conflict. Thanks again! Experience was Priceless!!!!!

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi

Glad to know that you are finally able to boot the system normally  :) .

First of all, connecting two drives as master and slave won't create any performance reduction. Each IDE port is designed to handle two drives at a time. Considering the old age of your PC, my primary suspicion is a bad optical drive. It's reading lens might be faulty or covered by dirt. Before doing any other thing, try cleaning the reading eye with a special drive cleaning kit. Using a cleaning kit is safe and easy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVD-VCD-CD-CD-ROM-Compact-Disc-Multi-Purpose-Lens-Cleaning-Kit-Lens-Cleaner-/261109538282?pt=US_Disc_Repair_Disc_Cleaning&hash=item3ccb575dea

If that didn't works, my next step would be is to replace the the IDE cable with a good quality 80 wire ribbon cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-inch-Dual-2-device-IDE-ATA133-mbs-80wire-PATA-HD-Cable-Cord-Wire-Strap-Ribbon-/290975146079

If that also didn't works, your drive will be faulty and needs to be replaced.

#6 bamminer

bamminer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hi, I still am getting a blue screen of death, but this time it's different. First, the PC seemed like it was back in good condition; then, it would after a period of 15-40 mins reboot; it did that a few times, then it wouldn't make it all the way into Windows or Safe Mode. Eventually, the BSOD appeared. This time it's different. I'm not looking at the blue screen right now, because it is unpredictable when it will occur. When it does, it is a video adapter error and it tekls me to press F8 so the Advanced Startup Options will appear so that I can enter Safe Mode and change something. Will restoring a backup help me or might it require something else? Please help!

#7 bamminer

bamminer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

I'd like reiterate that I may be able get HP Recovery to come up long enough to do its thing; I don't know if the PC will stay up long enough to allow this or restoring the backup for matter. Also, the blue screen comes just every once a while, but--most of the time--it reboots--sometimes right away, sometimes after opening a program, and sometimes it takes a while up to an hour(once). Right before it does reboot, some horizontal or vertical lines appear and then it goes(and oddly enough you can see a blue screen of death faintly before it reboots; it flashes in with the black; I'm not kidding; it really does). Please read(as I tried to be as clear as I could) and help me and thanks again!

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

Hi

Please try the memory isolation test as i described. Remove memory stick from slot 1 and check how the system works. If it shows blue screens/lines, remove the module in slot 2 and try the other one which we first removed. Check whether the issue happens only with a specific module. 

#9 bamminer

bamminer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

When I took all of them all out like your post said, everything worked and not just for a half hour this time. I "fired" it up and let it stay on for 2 hrs.(played video games), rebooted and let it stay on an hour or so 2 more times. Then, I shut completely down and turned it back on and success! Phew...I WORKS! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND REPLIES!!!! I wouldn't never figured out that it RAM; I was stuck on hard config and thought it odd that taking a slave out caused it throw an exception like that; older computers would throw an exception but they would not let you boot at all(if my memory serves me correctly). THANKS A WHOLE HECKUVA LOT FOR YOUR HELP! LIKE I SAID BEFORE, IT'S BEEN PRICELESS! JUST PRICELESS!!!!! AND I'M GOING TO CHECK OUT THAT OTHER INFO YOU GAVE ABOUT OPTICAL DRIVES, THANKS A TRILLION!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users