Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Internet Security Suite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iLoveIceCream

iLoveIceCream

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Is McAfee Internet Security Suite a good antivirus software? It came with my new laptop. Is this software enough or should I download third party security software?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)
Affected Operating Systems: Includes Microsoft Windows 8

If this is a NEW computer, then all you have is a Sample version ........
Windows 8 has an Antivirus program Pre-installed, so this is not required.
Usually you remove this and replace it with your own choice of a paid version Antivirus, or just use the default Windows Defender program. Free versions are not required.
If you decide to keep McAfee longer than 3 months, you are usually charged for it.

Follow steps 1 and 2 to fully remove the program from your computer -

1.Uninstall your McAfee home user products using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel:

Windows 8 Users
a.Close all McAfee program windows.
b.In the Start screen, type Programs and Features. (If it is not visible, click Settings in the list on the right.)
c.Click Programs and Features in the list on the left.
d.Select McAfee SecurityCenter.
e.Click Uninstall and follow any on-screen prompts.

2.Download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool:

a.Download the MCPR tool from: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe and save it to a folder on your computer (or to Desktop).
IMPORTANT: The MCPR tool is updated periodically when new products and updates are released. Always download a new copy of the MCPR tool before using it to uninstall your product.
 b.Navigate to where you saved the file, and double-click MCPR.exe. Windows 7 and 8 users Right click on the tool and select Run as Administrator -
c.When you see the User Account Control dialog box, click Yes.
d.At the McAfee Software Removal screen, click Next.
e.At the End User License Agreement (EULA) dialog box, click Next to accept the agreement.
f.When prompted, type the Captcha information, which is case sensitive, to validate to application security, and then click Next.
g.When you see the message CleanUp Successful, restart your computer.

NOTE : Your McAfee product will not be fully removed until after the restart.

If you have any other questions or problems, please post back -

Thank You -

#3 iLoveIceCream

iLoveIceCream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)
Affected Operating Systems: Includes Microsoft Windows 8

If this is a NEW computer, then all you have is a Sample version ........
Windows 8 has an Antivirus program Pre-installed, so this is not required.
Usually you remove this and replace it with your own choice of a paid version Antivirus, or just use the default Windows Defender program. Free versions are not required.
If you decide to keep McAfee longer than 3 months, you are usually charged for it.

Follow steps 1 and 2 to fully remove the program from your computer -

1.Uninstall your McAfee home user products using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel:

Windows 8 Users
a.Close all McAfee program windows.
b.In the Start screen, type Programs and Features. (If it is not visible, click Settings in the list on the right.)
c.Click Programs and Features in the list on the left.
d.Select McAfee SecurityCenter.
e.Click Uninstall and follow any on-screen prompts.

2.Download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool:

a.Download the MCPR tool from: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe and save it to a folder on your computer (or to Desktop).
IMPORTANT: The MCPR tool is updated periodically when new products and updates are released. Always download a new copy of the MCPR tool before using it to uninstall your product.
 b.Navigate to where you saved the file, and double-click MCPR.exe. Windows 7 and 8 users Right click on the tool and select Run as Administrator -
c.When you see the User Account Control dialog box, click Yes.
d.At the McAfee Software Removal screen, click Next.
e.At the End User License Agreement (EULA) dialog box, click Next to accept the agreement.
f.When prompted, type the Captcha information, which is case sensitive, to validate to application security, and then click Next.
g.When you see the message CleanUp Successful, restart your computer.

NOTE : Your McAfee product will not be fully removed until after the restart.

If you have any other questions or problems, please post back -

Thank You -

So after uninstalling McAfee my default antivirus will be Windows Defender? Is it good? 

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,043 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

Personally (and many will agree with me), I find that McAfee has quite a high track record of causing problems with computer systems. I certainly wouldn't pay for McAfee as there are better anti-viruses out there (both free and paid). Windows Defender will protect you perfectly fine if you have Windows 8, if not then I would say that Avast! free or Mircosoft Security Essentials are two good free anti-viruses. As for paid, NOD32 and BitDefender are good.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 11 September 2013 - 01:30 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users