Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet hardware?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

In a laptop, is there ONE location that the wireless AND wired connections are connected to each other?
I'm working on a computer for someone... he didn't like the windows 7 that came with it so he actually removed that and has been using Ubuntu.  He loves it.  He has been using it for a while with no issues but now the internet isn't working.  He's pretty familiar with Ubunut and computers in general.  Both wired and wireless wont work.  He has another computer at home(desktop I think) that isn't working on the internet either(at least, I think that's what he said).  I have his laptop here and I can't connect to the internet.  It says that the networks and such are ALL turned on...  So far it doesn't see my wifi. 
I find it pretty odd that both wireless and wired would go out.  Though, he did mention some storms a while back MIGHT have caused trouble?  Everything else seems to be running smoothly.
I'm trying to figure out what to look at next and I'm wondering if there's a place on the motherboard that handles ALL internet that could be damaged.  He has replaced the wireless card so it isn't likely that.
Anyway... just looking for some direction.  I'm trying to google if and where both wireless and wired meet on the motherboard of a laptop but it's hard to wade through the results. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

I really do wonder about computers sometimes...  they need a good swift kick to the teeth. ha.
So, I was ignoring the laptop for a little while and it went to sleep, or suspend or whatever.  When I went to go back, it asked for a password.  This guy couldn't remember it needing a password and gave me some suggestions... none worked.  :/    And, I didn't need one to boot to Ubuntu.
So...  I held in the power button and let it power off.  :/
Rebooted, attempted to boot to a flash drive but apparently I hit the wrong button and missed that... So, back in Ubuntu and something pops up saying it SEES my wifi.  hmmm...  I don't get it.  Why didn't it work before? Why is it working now? Will it keep working later?  ugh...
Anyway... it seems to work at the moment... though, his installation of Ubuntu seems setup a bit differently than the last time I played with Ubuntu... can't find a browser to get on the internet or even the options to install applications or anything. 
But that might not matter at this point.  His wife, mostly, wants Windows 7 on there and I'm not sure I can install that so easily with Ubuntu already on there and space not already allocated for windows.  So I may have to reinstall Ubuntu anyway.
If all goes well... hopefully the quirks with the internet will stay gone... :smash:

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

In case I continue to have any trouble with the internet connecting, can anyone tell me if there is ONE place within a laptop that controls BOTH wired and wireless internet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users